ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Sounds Loose + Added Knocking

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Okay, so maybe an odd one. After fitting the new rear beam with Polybushes it sounds like something is loose at the back when going slowly over bumps, in addition when cornering around roundabouts there is a side to side knocking, almost like a socket under the seat (there isnt).

I have been round and double checked all the bolts are torqued to spec but its still there, I am wondering if the K-Brace is somehow linked to it but I was also curious if anyone had any other ideas / experiences.

The other thing I wondered is if it could be he rear axles sliding on the polybushes somehow, but I can't see that being the case. Either way the car feels tight enough and handles well so I am confused.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I had this when I used to run Koni adjustable shocks.

Sounded like the damper shaft that bolts at the rear top mounts was rattling from side to side.

Never did manage to sort it.

No noise since moving to BC coilovers.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
okay, so thats one thing! I've done them a shade tight.

The torque setting is probably just there to stop you stripping the threads 😂

It's only holding the shocks in place when on full droop/jacked up.

Loosen it a bit and see if it makes a difference. Can't see it being that though :unsure:

You'll prove me wrong now you watch 😅

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Okay, so I have removed the k-brace and refitted torqueing to the correct spec, what I also did is remove the rear carpet that sits under the spare wheel (leaving only the carpet for my seat removal), that means the wheel isn't being pressed on by the k-brace. I then took it for a drive and it seems better, not 100% sure its resolved the condition but going up the lane and zig-zagging I didn't hear the noise.

Driving the Scotland today in it, anyone hazard a guess on if I will make it?

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Did you check for movement on the new axle bushes with a pot bar, that's where I'd start, there isn't much that can go wrong 🤣

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Did you check for movement on the new axle bushes with a pot bar, that's where I'd start, there isn't much that can go wrong 🤣
No going to lie, it worries me with so little that could wrong that is making a noise. I’m actually now wondering if it’s the hand brake cable outer getting pulled over the tank as that was mega tight. Will have a look when I get back from Scotland.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
No going to lie, it worries me with so little that could wrong that is making a noise. I’m actually now wondering if it’s the hand brake cable outer getting pulled over the tank as that was mega tight. Will have a look when I get back from Scotland.
Did you ever sort this out? I've just put poly bushes on my rear axle and now have exactly the same symptoms. There's not many thing to go wrong at the rear. I can't feel any movement in the bushes, I've swapped the shocks, all the nuts and bolts are done up tight, I've taken the toolkit/spare wheel out, checked the exhaust isn't hitting the beam and that the fuel tank is secure.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Did you ever sort this out? I've just put poly bushes on my rear axle and now have exactly the same symptoms. There's not many thing to go wrong at the rear. I can't feel any movement in the bushes, I've swapped the shocks, all the nuts and bolts are done up tight, I've taken the toolkit/spare wheel out, checked the exhaust isn't hitting the beam and that the fuel tank is secure.
Erm… so for me either something fell, off I’m used to it now and ignore it or it fixed itself. Sorry not a great answer.