ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Crank Seal Leaking

Clio 182
Hi guys

My rear (gearbox side) crank seal has a very gradual leak so will be getting replaced along with clutch when the time comes.

Quick question:

Would anyone recommend using an engine assembly paste or should I just slide the new seal in dry?

Is there anything else to it? (flywheel off and prise the old seal out, new one in)?

Thanks in advance

James

172,Valver
Use a small ammount of oil on new seal when fitting and if you are having any difficulty removing the original use x2 self tapping screws either side of the seal screwed in a few threads and wiggle out with fingers or pliers.

Al

Clio 182
Nice one, thanks Al, good thinking with the screws, better then jamming a screwdriver in and scoring the block surface

BMW M135i
Be sure its the crank seal and not the sump. The end caps have to have sealant applied and if the frenchy was being stingey with it they leak from there and looks like the crank seal.

Clio 182
Yea I did think that, there is some oil in the bell housing looking through the gap near the driveshaft, I'll be taking the box off for the clutch anyway so might as well buy the seal for £20 just in case.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Yea I did think that, there is some oil in the bell housing looking through the gap near the driveshaft, I'll be taking the box off for the clutch anyway so might as well buy the seal for £20 just in case.

You need new bolts for the fywheel aswell.