ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear disc change

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi guys,

Ordered my new rear discs and pads (OE) from Yozzasport yesterday (they arrived this morning, thanks Fred et al) so I'm going to be changing them this weekend.

I've read FuBar's guide (http://www.fubarnet.com/rear_discs.html) and it says I need to torque the hub nut up to 172 Nm +/- 10%. How important is it to be accurate with this - as I don't have a torque wrench at the moment, or do i just do them up really tight with a normal wrench?

Popping down to Halfrauds this evening to buy a set of axle stands - is there anything else I will need? I seem to remember using copper grease to put on the back surface of the pads on other cars??

Thanks for your help

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
The best purchase I ever made was a Touque Wrench, there are invaluable. The problem you will have is you may think that a)you have tighten the nut up enough only to find that they work there way loose or b) You tighten it up to what you think is the correct tightness, only to find you have cross threaded one of the nuts.

Believe me it may cost alot of money, but it will cost you even more if you fuk up a thread due to over tightning.

If you havent already got the ABS ring you will need to get this, and get it pressed into place, I would suggest getting a local garage with the bearing press to sort this out for you.

Copper grease is a must not to much but just enough to cover the back of the pads, will stop any vibration and noise.

You will need a allen socket to undo the discs from the hub, but off the top of my head I cant remeber what size, apart from that knock yourself out.

Steve

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Thanks Steve,

It's really annoying because I used to have a torque wrench, then when i moved out of home i forgot to bring it with me - i stupidly thought that now i have "modern" car, I wouldn't need to get my hands dirty anymore!!

The discs came with the ABS ring and bearings ready assembled, so I think I'm good to go.

Cheers