ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear disc wear

Just done 8000 miles in my 10 month old Cup. I noticed over the weekend that the rear discs are already quite scored and look like they need replacing. The fronts seem ok.

Is this the norm after 8000 miles? Are the discs made from cheese?

I thought Id post here before I start moaning to my dealer.

Chris

I am still on my original discs after nearly 25k. Front pads were changed at xmas last year and rear pads have 30% wear left on them.

172 Stu.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Just did the rear pads on my 172 @ 32k, but discs have got a little bit more life in them. Has improved braking efficiency so clearly the rears do do something.

Rears arent as beefy as the fronts but then again they shouldnt be working as hard. Quick thought is whether youve got a problem with your bias - thought Cups had manual bias due to lack of ABS ... is the car lowered at all? Otherwise maybe its all the handbrake turns ;)

Thanks for the replies.

No its a standard car and never seen a track ( I have the Elise for that)

I would have expected some wear at the front but not the back. The discs are quite severly scored on the inner and outer sides.

Brake bias must be ok otherwise Id be swapping ends when braking into corners with that kind of wear.

Any suggestions where to get good replacements other than main dealers?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

a bit of scoring is ok.the rears dont brake as much as the front so the discs dont get cleaned up like the fronts.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Various folk have told me that back pads are thinner to start off with ... so even tho theyre breaking less, theyve got less to wear away. Must admit the ones put on the other week didnt look that skinny to me!?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

rear pads are thinner to start with so sometimes look more worn then they actually are.i must admit though that the rears do seem to wear a lot,maybe its the handbrake causing the wear as well.

With my old 172 i had to have all discs and pads changed at 21,000 miles, due to all four discs cracking ( due to extreme heat quickly? ) and very little pad left on all of em!!!!!!!!