ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear drum brake upgrade.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Hello guys, I have a 172 rs clio ph1 and I noticed that it has rear drum brakes. What I want to figure out is if there is a kit to upgrade them to discs and how difficult/worthwile it is?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Hello guys, I have a 172 rs clio ph1 and I noticed that it has rear drum brakes. What I want to figure out is if there is a kit to upgrade them to discs and how difficult/worthwile it is?

RS Clio's don't have drum brakes.....

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
When I get to my pc and not phone. I am sure it is RS 172 ph1 and with drums at rear.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
No Clio RS has ever had drums on the back. Not even the Williams I'm pretty sure. Pictures of the car are needed please.

You have a converted lesser model as none of the rs clios have drum brakes. Get the vin number and contact renault or the like they will tell you what model it is.

Unless someone some how has botched the rear beam or hubs on???

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
You have a converted lesser model as none of the rs clios have drum brakes. Get the vin number and contact renault or the like they will tell you what model it is.

Unless someone some how has botched the rear beam or hubs on???

Or give me the reg/vin

I have renaults system at work.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
So here I am back at home, this is the number you are looking for: VF1CB0M0F22558306

Here are the pictures:

(as you can see on the back wheels that there are drum breaks painted white)

It has all the badges and it is registered as renault clio sport model. It does have a fitting 2.0L and all the other stuff inside. Not too sure how to recognize one otherwise.

8559_609525934493_1899309903_n-vi.jpg

DSC_1886-vi.jpg

DSC_1908-vi.jpg

DSC_1823-vi.jpg

DSC_1773-vi.jpg

DSC_1771-vi.jpg

Cliosport020vi-vi.jpg

If I bought a non genuine RS clio then I will seriously be a sad panda.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
someones binned it and bent the rear beam at some point,

then bodge fixed it by slapping a cheap rear beam on and not bothered changing any of the brakes over??

or someone got fed up of pads falling out of the rear callipers?!/thought drums would be better

Either way, its not right!! id defs looking to be sorting that! im not sure if theres any way of telling the difference between a low spec rear beam or a sport rear beam, but they are different (sport rear beam has a larger integrated ARB).

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Well I am not sure, I know I did switch out all of the springs/shocks when I got the car, and they were definitely Renault Sport.

Here are more pics, it might help somehow.

Cliosport001-vi.jpg
Cliosport003-vi.jpg

Cliosport004-vi.jpg
Cliosport010-vi.jpg

Cliosport023-vi.jpg
Cliosport027-vi.jpg

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1

then bodge fixed it by slapping a cheap rear beam on and not bothered changing any of the brakes over??

or someone got fed up of pads falling out of the rear callipers?!/thought drums would be better

Either way, its not right!! id defs looking to be sorting that! im not sure if theres any way of telling the difference between a low spec rear beam or a sport rear beam, but they are different (sport rear beam has a larger integrated ARB).

Surely then something is not right. I know for certain that previous owner did NOT care for this car. it had horrid wheels, pieces of interior was missing, tires were bad, it had missing bolts, and the engine exploded at some point after a good 3 months. However, now it has another heart transplant from another 172, and now it is coming closer and closer to beingflawless. However, there is a made-up switch on the dash to switch ABS off, and it somehow works. ABS light seems to never go away tho. I am also sure the air conditioner is gone, but that might be a good thing. So now, the car has a very loving owner, and I have switched out countless things in this car. Oh when I got it last year, it still had the same ignition spark plugs, never changed fuel or air filter etc. Now it is on its way to perfection. However, it seems that there are quite a few things that need an upgrade, like rear brakes and maybe the axle itself lol.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Maybe its just a thing they did for the lithuanian market?

Could Advikaz check it out in the system to see? My friend also had 2 or 3 of RS clios of the same year, I will ask him about it.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Registration number BK732KY
Vehicle identification number (VIN)VF1CB0M0F22558306
ModelClio II
Model typeCB0M
ct_pop-up.jpg
technical criteria
technical criteria
NO SIZE/WEIGHT INFORMATION LABEL
EVOLUTION OF COMMERCIAL VERSION (VERSION DUPLICATION)
5-SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX
WITHOUT LUGGAGE COVER
4X15 WATT RADIO CASSETTE WITH TRAFFIC INFORMATION
DRIVING ASSISTANCE
ENGINE REV COUNTER
REAR SEAT FUNCTIONALITY
DRIVER AIRBAG
X65 3-DOOR COACH
F4R ENGINE
X65 FAMILY
POWER ASSISTED STEERING
DOCUMENTATION PHASE 1
HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE STEERING WHEEL
DOCUMENTATION PERIOD 1998
WITHOUT ANTI-POLLUTION INFORMATION LABEL
WITHOUT NAVIGATION ASSISTANCE
"NORMAL" TORQUE
BODY COLOUR BUMPERS
WITHOUT PARTITION
DEPOLLUTION STANDARD EURO 96
IMMOBILISER DEVICE
WITHOUT TYRE PRESSURE INFORMATION LABEL
STICKER 02
FRONT SIDE AIRBAG
NO UNDERBODY PROTECTION
3 REAR HEADREST FULL HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
WITH POLLEN FILTER
PASSENGER AIRBAG
INTERIOR STYLING 01
SEAT UPHOLSTERY FABRIC 07
CLOTH OR PLUSH SEAT COVERING
FRONT SEAT BELT WITH PRETENSIONER
DRIVER'S SEAT WITH HEIGHT + LUMBAR ADJUSTMENT
BUILT UP SPECIAL VEHICLE ORDER: WITHOUT SPECIAL VEHICLE ORDER
WITHOUT HEADLIGHT WASHER
SEAT WITHOUT HEATING
MILD CLIMATE
LEFT-HAND DRIVE
ATHERMAL WINDOWS
WITHOUT WINDSCREEN WASHER FLUID LEVEL SENSOR
FIXED QUARTER PANELS WINDOW
ALLOY WHEEL RIMS
WITHOUT DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
WITHOUT EQUIPMENT BADGE
NORMAL CLUTCH
NORMAL ROOF
FOG HEADLIGHTS
NO PEDAL BRACKET COVER
TWIN HEADLIGHT
433 MHZ FREQUENCY REMOTE CONTROL DOOR OPENING
3-SEAT REAR MIDDLE SEAT BELTS
FUEL INFORMATION LABEL4
ENGINE SIZE BADGE 08
COUNTER UNITS IN KILOMETRES
WITHOUT COMPACT DISC
MAKE OF TYRES: STANDARD TYRE
TITAN GREY BODYWORK PAINT
PETROL
ELECTRIC FRONT WINDOW
MM ENGINE LEVEL
BODY COLOR EXTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRRORS
AIR CONDITIONING
2 DOOR MIRRORS ELECTRIC ADJUSTMENT
STANDARD SUSPENSION
ES4 EQUIPMENT LEVEL
ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM
ELECTRIC DOOR LOCKING + REMOTE CONTROL
PARTICULARS ITALY

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
This vehicle should be fitted with discs on the rear!

There are no drum related part numbers applicable.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
fuf, so it is a clio sport!!! yeeeeeeeee *danceparty*. However, the question still stands, how do I change the drums to discs, how expensive and hard would it be? and all in all is it even worth it? Also, should I check if my axle is somehow the wrong one?

172 Flamer, BMW E46
easy!! just buy a compete 172 rear axle and swap them over.. done it on my 1.2 5 door that had drums.. took me about half an hour!

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
easy!! just buy a compete 172 rear axle and swap them over.. done it on my 1.2 5 door that had drums.. took me about half an hour!

How much did that cost? Is it worth it? Were did you get it?

Clio Mk2 Ph3

the difference between a low spec rear beam or a sport rear beam, but they are different (sport rear beam has a larger integrated ARB).
That's right.Rs 172 22.2mm.Other model,non RS 19.5mm....take a look!!

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Ok.

Girlfriends hot. Don't bother too much about the car, I like phs1.

It is Girlfriend with the car, the one driving is me though. I will check out the 19.5 or 22.2mm thickness. Yeah I guess I will invest money in an RS tuner/intake or exhaust.

I will leave the drums as is, and yeah handbrake is INCREDIBLE fun.