ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear fog light appearing on dash

172 Cup
Before i go digging into wiring checks etc this weekend, has anyone had the rear fog lamp appear when they press the brake pedal? It lights up fairly dim but all the brake lights etc work fine. It seems like a simple earthing fault but thought id ask here first.

It only happens when the headlights are switched on.

Thanks

172 Cup
it also flickers while indicating left but not right!!

Hummmmmm, ill check it out when i get time and let you know if anyone else cant!!

alien green rs133
corrosion on the rear light clusters

a bit of a clean up of the contacts on plugs and buld holders should sort it

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep, bad earthing on the rear clusters. My Cup did it. Good clean up should do the trick

MK3

Dynamiqueee
When my hazzards are on the rear fog light indicator on the dash flashes, but fog lights stay off? Probably nothing to do with the problem your on about but wondered if anyone knew what could be causing it?

Fabia vrs tdi
Mines does this, i cleaned bulb connectors sprayed with wd40 but it still happens when i break. Im going to try swapping the bulb connector things over from the left side to right if they will fit and if that doesnt work its a bad earth

Fabia vrs tdi
Well i did the bulb connectors even used sandpaper get any rust off, i did clean the loom connector it looks as though one of the pins on connector is fucked a brown colour. It wouldnt bother me just the fog light coming on but when cruise control is on anytime i indicate it turns cruise control off which is a pain when over taking

Vee 6
Bad earth return..... Electricity will try always try and find a way of making a circuit.

In your case it's tracking back through the fog light circuit and the bringing the tell tale light on. ( It's a small wattage bulb and doesn't take much to bring it on )

You've bound to have seen Punto's and old Fords with disco lights at the back when indicating, Same thing, Just a worse case.

If you have a phase 1 & have put the phase 2 lights on it, that's most likely why. As said it's an earthing prob. I had it, sorted it by checking the wiring which had got lose, fixed it no probs.

Fabia vrs tdi
Rite so your sayin its a bad earth? I checked mine looks fine, other threads have been made about this and people say they sorted it by cleaning connectors

Vee 6
There is an earth mounting stud inside the boot below the cluster under the carpet/trim. ( This gets wet & corrodes if the clusters / boot seal leaks )

Take off the nut & scuff up the ring terminal until it's clean and bolt it back up.

Iceberg 172
I've had this again since the cold/snow and have seen this advice before.

corrosion on the rear light clusters

a bit of a clean up of the contacts on plugs and buld holders should sort it

Haven't had time to dismantle mine yet - is it one particular connection? is it obvious which is the problem? or is it just a case of cleaning and spraying everything in sight?

alien green rs133
I've had this again since the cold/snow and have seen this advice before.

Haven't had time to dismantle mine yet - is it one particular connection? is it obvious which is the problem? or is it just a case of cleaning and spraying everything in sight?

i now have the same fault :cool:
baisically it just needs a good clean, salt and stuff gets in