ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear heatshield bodge

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Hi all.
As I delve further through this car, I am experiencing many new and not so typical wonders that many garages seem to impart.
So with the boot emptied, and noticing some surface rust which I've quickly blown over with primer for now, I almost cut myself on something:
View attachment P_20160218_133448_zpsfgl1l6oo.jpg
So on closer inspection:
View attachment P_20160218_133441_zpsgyhazr1s.jpg
View attachment P_20160218_133459_zpsuponiln6.jpg
Now, given Renault's turn-of-the-millennium obsession with safety, I would suspect a self tapping screw facing upwards and exposed in the boot (carpet in place to cover it maybe) would not have gone down well, so was something I had to look at once under the car.
With the car today up on ramps:
View attachment P_20160218_133550_zpsqmhqtaw3.jpg
Rather than do something crazy like say, repair it properly, some wise guy has used a self tapper on the corner of the heatshield straight up and into the boot. Given I get quite miffed at bodywork rust this is raising plenty of alarm bells, plus this will eventually rust to death like every other heatshield fixing does.
My current plan of action is to remove this one, clean up the resulting mess to the boot floor, then use a self tapper the other way, in the original location, which looks to be the rusty mess on the left of the self tapper in the top pictures. Might even get original Renault heatshield clips.
Any other ideas? Also, what size screws are these? Unfortunately whatever was there of the original captive screw appears long gone, so right now would be guessing the diameter of it. I am guessing around 6mm?