ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear knocking and 1st gear selection

Clio 182
Hi All

I was hoping to get some advice before I start buying and replacing parts that are not needed. I recently brought a Clio 182 for track day use and after our 2nd outing it developed some strange noises:

1. Knocking when selecting 1st gear, this is an intermittent knock which sounds like the selector is impacting on something. It only happens when you really throw it into 1st, the gear goes in easily enough and the clutch engages fine but the noise is worrying.

2. When braking at low speeds I get a knocking from the rear, again this is intermittent (I had the abs warning light appear once which disappeared when the car was restarted).

So I searched the forums and checked the following but wanted some advice to see if anyone has had similar

1. Clutch cable is easily removed from fork (by hand), so maybe I should add more tension in this to remove the 1st gear engaging knock?
2. Checked the dogbone mount but how do I know it is gone, I can see the mount and about 30% of the rubber bush (standard mount)?
3. All the wheels bolts are tight and the disks look in good condition, I will check to see if they are warped but then I assume I would have knocking all the time if this was the case.
4. The engine doesn't seem to move much by hand and there is plenty of clearance at the back of it and the fire wall. Upon reving, it moves but not to this extent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOZdPsV4TpY).

The car is standard apart from springs and induction kit.

Thanks for any advise because I am at a loss at the moment trying to work out what all these new noises are!

Pj

Clio 182
Ill have a look at the rod, but didnt seem to be hitting anything.

Dogbone was my 1st port of call as well since it explains everything, will take it off and inspect it on the weekend.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Clio 182
So it wasn't the dogbone mount (replaced it and still have both issues).

Could the brakes be because we recently changed to new pads (dsp5200) and these stick when hot? When cold there is no knock and it only happens when warm.

Could the gear box selection noise be due to low gear box oil?

Clio 182
Mechanic says pressure plate is wearing so knocking when putting into gear is normal and the pads are sticking when hot.

All good otherwise!!

Clio 182
Already changed the dogbone and just had the dephaser done. Just need to get used the new noises.

Has anyone else got dsp5200 pads on the rear as well?