ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear light connectors, the usual maybe?

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Hi all,
Wife's Ph2 172 has the usual issue of the fog light coming up due to the rear lights. It's now isolated to the left side cluster/wiring, but is getting to the point of comedic, especially when reverse is involved, where the brakes then turn all lights on dimly, and indicating then goes haywire.
When the cluster is pulled from the car, it gets better, then when finger pressure is applied to the connector into the cluster, it is fine, but once pressure is removed, it comes back.
This is leaving me to believe it is the connector or the terminals.
What I would want to do is remove the terminals, recrimp new terminals and then either put them into a new connector block, or at least into the existing connector block.
But has anyone done this? I know the connector has a little bit that flips up and then one can see the terminals, I'll rummage through that this evening when the wife is back, but can the terminals be removed from that point? Maybe I can squeeze something to stop whatever is happening within the connector, must be some sort of short in there.
Does anyone have part numbers?
I don't really want to get a replacement loom which involves crimping or soldering the wires together somewhere along the loom, as a second hand eBay one would probably be not much better, and this approach of cutting and splicing isn't how I'd want to do it. I usually find it easy for Peugeots in regards sourcing connectors and terminals, but I haven't had much luck with Renault part numbers.
Have done all the usual steps, earth points are fine, dielectric grease used in connectors. Right side used to be a nightmare too but that has been absolutely fine, it's only the left now, and as I say, seems to be fine when the connector has pressure applied.

dan's cast offs.
pop the cover up and nip the terminals up a bit, not to much as they can bend back when you plug it back in.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I did everything everyone suggested and it didn't work, how I solved the problem was a drop of solder on each pin. it now makes perfect connections and no more issues

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Thanks all, popped off that bit of plastic, gave them a wiggle, dollop of grease and it seems fine. Must have been some water or moisture arcing within the connector. I'll try the solder should the problem ever persist.

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Hi all,
Went bananas again this morning. Quick squirt with WD40 on connectors and bulb holder and seemed fine again. She'll let me know once she's home if it's held up.
Regarding the solder, do you mean dab a bit on the crimped end, or the connector end itself?
Might have to resort to splicing a second hand connector if it carries on like this.
Best I have come up with are part numbers looking at the electronics small parts catalogue in Dialogys:
Terminals? 77 03 097 309
Connector? 77 03 197 218
There is also a "repair loom" 77 01 476 626, which pretty much implies splicing a replacement connector is the way to go.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Hi all,
Went bananas again this morning. Quick squirt with WD40 on connectors and bulb holder and seemed fine again. She'll let me know once she's home if it's held up.
Regarding the solder, do you mean dab a bit on the crimped end, or the connector end itself?
Might have to resort to splicing a second hand connector if it carries on like this.
Best I have come up with are part numbers looking at the electronics small parts catalogue in Dialogys:
Terminals? 77 03 097 309
Connector? 77 03 197 218
There is also a "repair loom" 77 01 476 626, which pretty much implies splicing a replacement connector is the way to go.
On the pins

clio 182
every time I wash my car I have to take out both rear bulb holders and use my heat gun to dry them all out :sleeping: I think adding a better weather strip around the multi plug will stop the moisture getting in

renault clio 1.4 16v
Never use grease or oil on electrical connectors if possible, it creates a boundery layer and will eventally start to arc and lose connection when the carbon builds up... clean it up with electrical non residue cleaner, bend the pins a bit and carry on...