ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear taillight magical rewiring question

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Hello guys,

Here is the magical question:

What rewiring do I have to do that my current 2000 Clio RS 172 Ph1 rear taillight would work this way:

When there are four bulbs on each side, now when I turn lights on, only the top bulb shines (and it is supposed to be that way).

I wish that not only the top one would light up, but also the very bottom one.

I do not really care that when breaking bottom one would also light up more.

Also, I do now that the bottom one is for the rear fog, and if that goes away, well I am not sure if I really care or not, hence I just passed the Lithuanian MOT.

Scheme of rear light as I wish it to be ----> O - shines
O - x
O - x
O - shines

I hope there is some guru on here that knows how to get this done, because trial and error would just take a whole lot of time, and I do not know if it is possible, but after some time I figured that on this forum, anything can happen!

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Hi Tadas, as a full CS member, you should be able to see the ClioSport Guides section. There is a guide that covers the wiring in the Phase 1 and Phase 2 rear lights to let you do a conversion, but should allow you to achieve what you're after.

You can find it here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?394322-FubarNet-Guides&highlight=ph2+rear

Hmm, it is certainly a great guide, and I know it has to do with messing with those 6 wires, but still, I just want the bottom light to shine at the same time as the top one does. If I was to do the complete rewiring only the bottom one would light up.

Is there anyone else who could help me figure out of what wires to splice and connect, or some other way to achieve both top and bottom lights to light up at the same time?

You would surely just need to split the wire for your top bulb into 2, one for top, and the new extension on it for the bottom? That guide should help you identify which wire it is.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
You would surely just need to split the wire for your top bulb into 2, one for top, and the new extension on it for the bottom? That guide should help you identify which wire it is.

Gosh I would love to identify which wire that is. And I wonder if I after splitting it should I just remove the other one? If it was 6 wires and each for 1 bulb that would be really easy, but now it seems like a messy job. I will go and try to figure it out this weekend.

Gosh I would love to identify which wire that is. And I wonder if I after splitting it should I just remove the other one? If it was 6 wires and each for 1 bulb that would be really easy, but now it seems like a messy job. I will go and try to figure it out this weekend.

Are you using Phase 1 or 2 rear lights?

Ok well a quick look at the above mentioned guide shows that on Ph1 rear lights, the rear Fog is the PINK/BEIGE wire in position 6 so you just need to work out which is the rear tail-light. The guide states that 4/blue is 'light' and wire 5/white is 'Rear'.
One of these will be the reverse bulb.
The best thing to do would be to follow that guide and at the stage where you remove the wires from the block to re-seat them, do not put either white or blue back in, reconnect the block and put your lights on. If the rear light does NOT light with a single wire out - it's most likely the rear tail light. If it DOES with one wire out, that's most likely the reverse.

Once you identify the rear tail-light wire, use automotive scotch-lock (also called snap-lock) connectors to join the two together.

Hopefully that helps you do what you want to buddy!