ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear toe setting

Clio 172
Hi all
So I'm looking at sorting the rear toe & camber settings on my 182 track car.
I have got a 10min shim to fit to the rear left side and and 20min shim to fit to the rear right side to get 10min toe-in left side & 6min toe-in right side.
However, if you also look at then camber it is nearly 2' on left side and jus under 1.5' in right side. So what I'm thinking is getting the 30min shim to fit the right side which will even out the camber. If I fit the 20min shim to the right side for toe And also the 30min shim for the camber, will these be okay to do?
IMG_2137.JPG

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yes done this plenty of times, might not get it exactly to where you want it to be but should be pretty close.

Is there a real noticeable difference for track work playing around with the rear? My car scrubs the inside rears as it is on the OE set-up.

Yeah massive difference mate as it helps with turn in. Basically it brings the rear end more into play - as in more liable to step out from a bit of lift off oversteer. Makes for good fun!
Will look into this for next year mate as its pretty inexpensive if you can do the work yourself.

So for clarity, on the rear for a track car +0.10 (total) toe out & 1.5-2 degrees of negative camber?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Was going to say, me personally it would be parallel at most. But prefer some toe in.

Mines twitchy enough in the wet.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Will look into this for next year mate as its pretty inexpensive if you can do the work yourself.

So for clarity, on the rear for a track car +0.10 (total) toe out & 1.5-2 degrees of negative camber?
I personally wouldn't go for toe out on the rear unless you enjoy chasing the tail on near enough every corner. As @Tony Hunter has said, parallel will be the better setting or at least as near as damn it anyway.

Clio 172
Fitted shims to the rear RHS of my Clio 182 track car. However when removing the stub of the axle, 2 of the 4 heads on the bolts were fubbard! Must have happened during the build:down: so going to order new set of belts from PMS to replace bolts on both sides. Only fitted 2 bolts atm as needed to put wheel back on to get car into garage. Will do the LHS shims/ bolts along with the RHS bolts when get back offshore in 3 weeks.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Sorry to dig up an old thread. Just had my alignment done and the rear is out... Now the guy said that the rear beam could be twisted or could be worn bushes?

I've not owned the car long and haven't had an off myself. Guessing people have seen loads and loads of data like this and dose this look like a typical twisted rear beam or bushes?

What do I need to fix this problem if it isn't a case of a new rear beam?

Attachments

• Alignment.pdf
    506.5 KB · Views: 117
Sorry to dig up an old thread. Just had my alignment done and the rear is out... Now the guy said that the rear beam could be twisted or could be worn bushes?

I've not owned the car long and haven't had an off myself. Guessing people have seen loads and loads of data like this and dose this look like a typical twisted rear beam or bushes?

Can you upload it via an image?

How many miles? I reckon you could do the bushes, but I also reckon you could get a different alignment result if you drove out the garage, round the block and back onto the machine.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
How many miles? I reckon you could do the bushes, but I also reckon you could get a different alignment result if you drove out the garage, round the block and back onto the machine.
Funny you should say that as they said that to bring it back after a week or two before I do my track day to check everything is ok....

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
This might be easier to access

Attachments

• AE2C4372-C517-4EFA-9476-9656C612B31F.png
    AE2C4372-C517-4EFA-9476-9656C612B31F.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 189

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Yea I agree, its maybe had a knock on the left but no much. Check the bushes out if they are perished and cracked then they want changing any way. Wants more camber on the right and more toe out on the left

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I would imagine possibly the same OEM from the day it was made? I will get under her and have a look. Just wanted some opinions if it looked massively out and needed a new beam or as you say, duff bushes and some shims would see it right again.

I plan on referring the back end regardless, its just a matter of time and when more than likely after this season.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I would imagine possibly the same OEM from the day it was made? I will get under her and have a look. Just wanted some opinions if it looked massively out and needed a new beam or as you say, duff bushes and some shims would see it right again.

I plan on referring the back end regardless, its just a matter of time and when more than likely after this season.

It could have been like it from new, they will be welded together in a jig and if the guy making it isnt on the ball he may not line it up perfectly pre welding. Then theres the welding itself which can pull things out of shape with the heat.

I'm removing my axle today for refurb I'll get some pictures on my thread

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
As said above. 2 x 30min shims will solve the existing issue.. But if you're gonna be refurbishing your rear beam then id just wait till you're all done there then get it rechecked.. New bushes, new nuts and bolts will knock everything out again..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk