ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheel leaving the ground?

Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
Hi,

I've just had a strange experience at a traffic light....:S

When the lights were on red, the bloke in the car that had following me pulled along side and told me that when I was cornering left my offside rear wheel was leaving the ground. He was amazed the car was still driveable and then said that the wheel must be damaged.

I'm disregarding the last point as it is more likely suspension than wheel, but I'm not sure whether this is normal considering that cup suspension is stiffly set up. Also, we're not talking fast cornering, this is a 30-40mph drive to work in traffic and the corners are most likely 45 degrees at most.

Anyone's help on this would be most appreciated. I'm getting a colleague to follow me at lunch to see if he can spot this strane phenomenon. Thanks.

Audi TT 225
Ahhh the old robbin reliant cup :D
That does sound very odd at those speeds tho, its quite hard to c*ck the wheel unless your really hammering it.
Could get your suspension geometry checked out?

Cup'd Monaco 172
Common issue. A result of a stiff rear end.

If its worse than it should be then its either the front suspension is softer than its should be or the rear is stiffer or seized.

Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
Yep - standard cup suspension, springs, dampers etc all round.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Going to get a 2nd opinion at lunch time as to whether it looks "normal" or not and then I'll have to get it checked out by a professional.

MkII Ph.2 172. Modified.
Unloading a wheel is normal. It is doing nothing anyway.
Stop steering with your throttle at low speeds (Aggressive liftoff can unload a rear wheel), and you shouldn't have much of a problem if it bothers you so much. Not that you'll know though.

Trophy #267
hmm wasnt aware that the liftoff oversteer was caused by the inner rear wheel lifting but makes perfect sense!
/me makes note not to try and do this again on the roundabout near home with my m8 behind with a camera...

RSC 182 Cup
Its to do with the Clio having a live rear axle (whatever that is). But the car shouldnt really go into 3 wheel mode when your driving sedately.

Even my lowered mk1 RT does this, i didnt realise until my mate told me when he was following me on a spirited drive :clown: