ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reason for smoothing edges on a piston?

Just curious to why people smooth the edges off a piston.

From this

IMG_3563.jpg
IMG_3562.jpg

To this

IMG_3603.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg

Surprised fred didnt answer this .... pocketed pistons (that ones extreme) for very lary cams ?
Thsts got four round cut outs for valve clearance

HBT 172 Cup
Nout to do with cleareances, Sand rolling the top pistons reduces chances of detonation, i had the same done to my pistons on my F7R build years ago.

This is what APD told me anyway, so make of that what you will lol. Probably a waste of time.

Nout to do with cleareances, Sand rolling the top pistons reduces chances of detonation, i had the same done to my pistons on my F7R build years ago.

This is what APD told me anyway, so make of that what you will lol. Probably a waste of time.

which bit are we looking/talking about here ? because i was looking on a phone earlier and i don't get which bit you mean ?

​the machining on the top ?

ok now on a pc and have looked at a normal f4r piston (never seen one and didn't know they had pockets in anyway) in which case , waste of time .

Last edited:
  FF Clio 182
But surely more flat edges make more surface area so would make greater power on ignition? Worded that badly but you get what I mean :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
But surely more flat edges make more surface area so would make greater power on ignition? Worded that badly but you get what I mean :)

surface area of the piston crown doesn't really directly effect power.

softening the sharp edges is a worthwhile way to reduce detonation risk, det will always occur more easily on an edge, which is why you often see damaged squish zones on the head. The example above has gone a bit too far though, you don't want to change the shape overall, you just want to soften the edge

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
You can see in this picture, the sharp edge of the squish has become a focus point for detonation

417182_306483479405480_2127065777_n.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Well said dan at a19

Im sure they must get a company to do this and then adjust weights so there the same normaly done from the pin area.

when i clean them up, I send the pistons to be weight matched with the rest of the rotating assembly. Usually a few minutes with some 1200 grit and some scotchbrite is more than enough though

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
As Dan said, sharp edges can cause hot spots in the combustion chamber.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When its an engine which is knock limited on power, its worth doing to try and squeeze an extra degree into the ignition table by removing sharp edges which can encourage detonation as they are invariably hot spots.

Gains will be minimal even on race applications, but if you are down to chasing every last BHP its worth the hassle.

If you go too far, you end up lowering the CR of course as you are removing material thats intruding into the unswept region.