ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rebuild- How to get genuine 182/172bhp figures

A45 AMG 406BHP
Ive got a spare engine(ph1 172 engine)

I know that most 172/182 that are standard dont run the bhp figures that are stated.
Firstly Why is this?

What is the best way of getting the stated figures?

Ive seen 197 cams fit, but do 200?
in which what timing should it be set too?( owners with 197/200 cams what did you set yours too)

thanks

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
197 cam timing is a bit touch and go, can take a few attempts to get right..

Audi A5
182 and 172 doesn't actually stand for the bhp of the car. They actually stand for the HP. It's a bit of a trick really that Renault seem to like doing with all their sports I.e 225,230,197,200,133 etc.

Renault state that the book power is 170 and 180 so their still under powered anyway though.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
182 was only called a 182 as the 206 gti at the time was a 180. It was one-up-manship.

It's not hard however to build a good strong near standard engine to make good power. Just takes careful measurement, adjustment, and preparation.

I can't think of any reason to bother with 197 cams unless you plan to retrofit the fully variable VVT system too, at which point you'd need a way to map it, so standalone comes into the equation, and then you should have just bought decent aftermarket cams in the first place.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
197 cams if timed in correct really help out at the top end of the rev range, but you cant just whack them in on standard marks and you will need a remap to suit, its a lot of hassle for not a lot of gain if you dont happen to already know how to time them and have maps available (ie it makes sense for someone like MWM who have done a few of them)

The quote power outputs were in PS for the 172 in the first place (and in dreamland for the 182), but the engines really do vary quite a lot even when built seemingly to identical specs, cam timing is undoubtedly the biggest single factor that can really mess things up if you get it wrong.

I wouldnt obsess too much about a peak figure thats only held for a few hundred rpm anyway though, far more important it pulls well for a good useable chunk of the rev range.