ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recaro Pole Position Seat fitting - Info

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Hey all,

I’ve finally got around to having a look at what’s involved in fitting my Recaros into the Clio.

I’m using the following:

Recaro Pole Position ABE seats.
Recaro double locking runners
Recaro alloy side mounts
Jon Fos Xlow Seat bases.

Now has anyone got this setup in a Clio they could show me some detailed photos of the fixings etc? Runner placement, clearance around the seats once installed.

I assume you drill the bases to suit your runner spacing?
Any info anyone can share would be much appreciated. My car is my daily so pulling seats out to dick about is a pain so trying to get as much info beforehand as possible.

Much appreciated. 🙂

40875DB9-6B06-4C78-BDD2-3F8C3FCB1436.jpeg
36571E4E-619C-4783-8E48-739B4CF2DCD2.jpeg
0B71B67C-F590-41CD-A759-C9D8D4761524.jpeg
28DB0F40-6B93-42A1-AEB6-C56A79181B2C.jpeg

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
You’ve basically got it sat correct in the pics

you shouldn’t have to drill thesubframes as the runners are adjustable in width by tweaking the handle 👍

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
You’ve basically got it sat correct in the pics

you shouldn’t have to drill thesubframes as the runners are adjustable in width by tweaking the handle 👍
Thanks Jon,
I guess the seat width will dictate the runner spacing once they're fastened to the seat .
Out of interest, what seat/spacing was used to mark as the pattern for the holes in your bases?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, I'm going to be fitting the FIA pole positions, FIA sidemounts, double lockers and Jon foz xlow frames in my car too.

Have you assembled your seats yet? The new seat belt guides are utter toss in the manner theyve been finished which mean the washers tend to touch the leather. They may need peeling back slightly so the washer sits flush against the seat. See below what I mean

20200111_140557.jpg

You need to assemble the sidemounts to the seats in order to get all the proper positioning for the mounting to the subframes.
The runners will need sliding forwards and backwards in order for the bolts to go through into the sidemounts. Are there nuts on the inside of the sidemounts for m8 bolts? There are on the FIA but unsure on yours.

You will want M8 x 20/25 bolts for mounting the sliders to the sidemounts.

In order to get proper seating position in the car you'll need to remove your existing seats, place the subframes in and the seats on top then measure. Then drill holes in the subframes. On the passenger it doesnt matter too much so just drill them wherever.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You can only go so far over before the sidemounts touch the edge of the subframe anyway, but I believe one of the holes lines up, another needs ovalling slightly then drill 2 more. May need to do all 4 depending on position for the driver

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Hey all,

I’ve finally got around to having a look at what’s involved in fitting my Recaros into the Clio.

I’m using the following:

Recaro Pole Position ABE seats.
Recaro double locking runners
Recaro alloy side mounts
Jon Fos Xlow Seat bases.

Now has anyone got this setup in a Clio they could show me some detailed photos of the fixings etc? Runner placement, clearance around the seats once installed.

I assume you drill the bases to suit your runner spacing?
Any info anyone can share would be much appreciated. My car is my daily so pulling seats out to dick about is a pain so trying to get as much info beforehand as possible.

Much appreciated. 🙂

View attachment 1449902View attachment 1449903View attachment 1449905View attachment 1449906
The pole positions are a wide seat so two of the holes needed elongating. I'd recommend getting the runners as close as possible to the exhaust tunnel side (mine were near enough touching) of the mount or youll be quite a way off the centre of the steering wheel

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks gents I thought as much, you have confirmed my Initial thoughts.
My main thoughts was to how others have fitted the seat belt receptacle for the 3 point lap strap. I think I’ll be getting some universal cable mounted receivers and fastening them directly to the side mounts by drilling them in the lower corner. I think this will provide the cleanest fixing.

I did look at additional Bret Krause brackets but with the XLow frames you don’t really have the room to get them in and they bump another £160 to the install.
I can’t see a better way so far to make for a completely OEM level of finish to the fitting.

@Louis
The Recaro side mounts don’t touch the leather at all and don’t have a washer behind them. They fasten directly to the seat shell.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks gents I thought as much, you have confirmed my Initial thoughts.
My main thoughts was to how others have fitted the seat belt receptacle for the 3 point lap strap. I think I’ll be getting some universal cable mounted receivers and fastening them directly to the side mounts by drilling them in the lower corner. I think this will provide the cleanest fixing.

I did look at additional Bret Krause brackets but with the XLow frames you don’t really have the room to get them in and they bump another £160 to the install.
I can’t see a better way so far to make for a completely OEM level of finish to the fitting.

@Louis
The Recaro side mounts don’t touch the leather at all and don’t have a washer behind them. They fasten directly to the seat shell.
On the FIA a washer is required, I'd be surprised if it wasnt the case with the ABE. I'd double check that.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Where does it show you a washer must be fitted mate? Is this an instruction from the side mount manufacturer or from Recaro themselves?
Every set of PPs I’ve seen fitted there hasn’t been a washer from what I can see.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Where does it show you a washer must be fitted mate? Is this an instruction from the side mount manufacturer or from Recaro themselves?
Every set of PPs I’ve seen fitted there hasn’t been a washer from what I can see.

On the Pro steel side mounts they have spacers in between the side mounts and the seat shell so that the mount stands off from the seat, made up of a thick cylindrical spacer, a washer and a piece of round white vinyl sticker so that the washer doesn't mark the shell.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Ah I see, makes sense.
I have the alloy mounts which don’t come with these. I still think I’ll be adding some PPF to the shells where they are fixed to protect them anyway.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Ah I see, makes sense.
I have the alloy mounts which don’t come with these. I still think I’ll be adding some PPF to the shells where they are fixed to protect them anyway.

Yeah it depends on the side mount style, the alloy ones are a different shape i think so they will tight to the seat already.

Those pro steel ones are wider because they accomodate the Pole Positions, Profi SPG and some others. Trying to fit them without the spacers will bend the mounts.... ask me how i know 😂

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Got a chance to have a further look at this today. As said the PPs are a wide seat so with the runners lining up on the door side, they in turn foul the tunnel side.
The runners themselves are too wide to align with the holes on the tunnel side location so the bolts cannot be located anyway.
It’s looking like my only option is to drill 4 new locations to allow the seat runners to be as close as possible to the tunnel side yet not under any tension.

I’ll try and get photos as I go.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I had the same issue when fitting mine.

As mentioned above I just elongated some of the holes, and drilled new holes where necessary. My driver's seat is still slightly off centre but nothing major, they aren't bang on central as standard, just you have the room to budge over in the standard seats.