ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Received letter off police for my 3/4 front plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
ive had mine on and off for a while now, live in a little village in scotland. police look at it but thats all they do. probs just get a warning if they stopped me tbh.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The comments about the Police not doing their job properly made me lolz quite a bit... Silly me for thinking that a traffic Police officer stopping a motorist for a motoring related offence is their job.

The law is the law at the end of the day and no matter how petty it is you can either do what the majority of the population does (which is as they're told) or you can keep sticking your fingers up at it until you either grow up or until you can no longer afford the fines, which is when they'll also take your pride and joy and promptly crush it. ANPR cameras do more than just catch immature scroats with illegal number plates - They catch road tax and insurance dodgers which is a huge task and one I'm grateful they do cos they make my piss boil when I pay handsomely for all four of my households vehicles to be on the roads legally.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Resized/tampered with non regulation number plates are ultimate fail anyway. They look s**t. Worse than bonnet bras. Look at me I'm so special I want you to notice my special plate. Followed by "fukcing Police should be out catching drug dealers".

PMSL.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
The comments about the Police not doing their job properly made me lolz quite a bit... Silly me for thinking that a traffic Police officer stopping a motorist for a motoring related offence is their job.

The law is the law at the end of the day and no matter how petty it is you can either do what the majority of the population does (which is as they're told) or you can keep sticking your fingers up at it until you either grow up or until you can no longer afford the fines, which is when they'll also take your pride and joy and promptly crush it. ANPR cameras do more than just catch immature scroats with illegal number plates - They catch road tax and insurance dodgers which is a huge task and one I'm grateful they do cos they make my piss boil when I pay handsomely for all four of my households vehicles to be on the roads legally.

Well said tbh!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Superb post! The day I get fined there will zero complaints from me.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Ain't these known as "Show plates"? i.e for Shows?

Original spec for the win.

GTiR 394bhp
Agree with MickPM- in the owners opinion they might make the car more unique but thats just a red rag to a bull for a copper and you'd best hope everything else is 100% when they pull you.When you watch things like Traffic Cops, its the cars that stand out that get pulled for good reason, as it often leads to other offences such as no tax/insurance.Not saying people with small plates all drive around like this but why bring yourslef to their attention in the 1st place, wasting your time and more importantly theirs.

That's the other thing, people bleating on about how the Police should be out catching drug dealers. Firstly it's a completely retarded viewpoint, but if we stick with that theme for a minute. If you weren't driving around with your silly little plates on, maybe they'd have more time to catch drug dealers, instead of pulling you over because your car looks stupid.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I bet the ANPR cameras can actually read the 3/4 plates.

Coppers on a power trip AFAIK

clio 182 'full fat'
Agree with MickPM- in the owners opinion they might make the car more unique but thats just a red rag to a bull for a copper and you'd best hope everything else is 100% when they pull you.When you watch things like Traffic Cops, its the cars that stand out that get pulled for good reason, as it often leads to other offences such as no tax/insurance.Not saying people with small plates all drive around like this but why bring yourslef to their attention in the 1st place, wasting your time and more importantly theirs.
can you explain what tax and insurance is.....? lol:rasp:

DCi 100
Petrol stations etc also read number plates to log who's having what. Have a look at the computer cycling through what plates with pictures are on their forecourt next time you go.

Used to have a 3/4 plate last year and only got afew looks from police cars etc. I guess I grew away from it and just don't think it's worth that risk/hassle for the sake of afew mm's of plastic anymore.

White clique
Which is ridiculous as it means they pay people to do the job the machinery cant do, which basically means it costs twice as much? Ridiculous! Time the police were able to spend more time fightig real crime and the courts handing out realistic sentences!

not sure if you had considered the fact that criminals often go out of their way to tamper with numberplates whilst using cars for more serious crimes - and these same people will also be checking those plates?

You'd be the first to want to know why a rozzer didnt stop your car if it was stolen and driven straight past a police car.

ph1 172
The previous owner of a friends Lancia Integrale 8v got stopped for having a smaller front No. plate fitted, he took it to court with the argument that a standard sized plate partially blocked some of the cooling grills, he won the case & was issued with a letter to prove it which the current owner keeps in the glovebox in case he gets stopped, lol.

I think the whole number plate thing is exactly the same as speeding/de cats and other illegalities. We all know the risks that one day we could be caught before we fit/do them.

I had a 3/4 plate on my corsa which I was pulled up on twice as it was silly small however the custom size one that is in the tutorial guide doesn't stick out as much, I havent been stopped once for it in the two years I've had it

clio 182 'full fat'
mine was 512mm x 84mm , dont think the police wouldever have pulled me for it, just the wanker in the camera van must have noticed the letters few a couple of mm smaller than there supposed to be, its still perfectly readable to camera vans and plate recognition devices etc

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That would've again been the ANPR tagetting that noticed it, not the opperator.

They're very clever in how they work and know the size of a plate between its min and max ranges. When you mess about with your plate sizes and proportions in any way it throws the softwares tracking ability off and so it takes an image, despite it being clear or not, then flags it for manual recognition. Plate size wrong = vehicle defect = warning and/or fine via post. If the plate image isn't clear there are other ways of finding out your address/vehicle from identifying marks such as stickers, panel damage and all are very legal in UK courts.

Its for this very reason you NEVER post videos on the internet of you and your mates dicking around on the roads.

Mick

275 Trophy
Had mine for a while and not been pulled. It's 3/4 but otherwise correct UK font, and being of the older year system, not in need of a national flag and the other info, so cleans the front up a lot. Been past loads of vans, and was caught in the middle of police operation the other day where a van was signalling to waiting partols, pulling doggy cars but they ignored me.

If the ANPR system can read a normal one from half a mile away as I believe they can, then surely it must read a 3/4 from 1/4 mile away. The software must have some sort of detection limit set; as long as it reads it in this time, don't flag up to operator I'd of thought.

Other forigen plates are all sorts of sizes and shapes, and some cars are designed for these sizes, so I don't see how it's particularly chavy to have a slightly smaller front plate fitted. Having said this, first time I go out i'll get pulled now knowing my luck.

On a slightly different tack, the police asked us at work recently if they could put the hard drive for a system that records all the vehicle plates entering our industrial estate in our security office. Gaffer is still considering it ATM.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
mine was 512mm x 84mm , dont think the police wouldever have pulled me for it, just the wanker in the camera van must have noticed the letters few a couple of mm smaller than there supposed to be, its still perfectly readable to camera vans and plate recognition devices etc

The standard size plate in the UK is 520 mm × 111 mm, so my first question is; why even bother having them on if they're that subtle? Also, there is now law in the UK pertaining to number plate size, just to lettering, typeface and stroke. I.e. you could trim normal plates down to the size you have and be perfectly legal.

Secondly, why is the guy in van a wanker for doing his job? If I spotted you in a tinted, lowered clio with illegal plates. Not only would I do you for the plates, but I'd go over your car with such a fine tooth comb, I'd be bound to find something else. You sound like the kind of motorist that gives the rest of us a bad name. I'd even go as far to suggest, you're the wanker in this scenario, but its expected given your location.

clio 182 'full fat'
The standard size plate in the UK is 520 mm × 111 mm, so my first question is; why even bother having them on if they're that subtle? Also, there is now law in the UK pertaining to number plate size, just to lettering, typeface and stroke. I.e. you could trim normal plates down to the size you have and be perfectly legal.

Secondly, why is the guy in van a wanker for doing his job? If I spotted you in a tinted, lowered clio with illegal plates. Not only would I do you for the plates, but I'd go over your car with such a fine tooth comb, I'd be bound to find something else. You sound like the kind of motorist that gives the rest of us a bad name. I'd even go as far to suggest, you're the wanker in this scenario, but its expected given your location.
so now your a racist? good one

I used to have the spacing wrong on my plate. R4W DC instead of R4 WDC. Correct font and everything else, just the space moved over one.

I got pulled twice, the second officer told me how the ANPR works and took me to his car to show me. Sure enough it couldnt identify my plate with the illegal spacing, even though the size and font was correct.
I payed my fine (£30 back then) and have run with legal plates since.

The ANPR isn't perfect anyway, it doesn't even get every plate correct that is 100% legal. Gets certain letters confused etc.

Should have bought a car that was deigned to have number plates without them blocking off half the front grille.

IIRC.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
So now you're a racist? Good one.

Nice attempt at a response Nathan. Next time spend more time on your grammar and punctuation. C-

Secondly, is 'geordie' a race?

I put it to the jury that you are of sub normal intelligence which explains the content of your posts and the reason you had 'custom' plates on a clio in the first instance.

clio 182 'full fat'
Phuzion get in your pikey mobile and f**k off, think this thread does need locked it seems people take life and laws far too seriously. i started this thread simply to warn people as i know a large amount of ph2 cliosport owners have the 3/4 plates fitted to the front due to the size of the recess given to attach your front bumper. really people if you have got nothing nice to say just dont bother. whats the point in starting a pointless argument with someone on here? it will just go on and on and on.

TBF it wasn't really your OP that most people were roffling at. Your message was clear and fair enough. It was the other gimps that raised some eyebrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.