ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

recommend me a laptop. >£300

CLIO PH1 172
hi guys im looking at getting a laptop but dont really know what im looking at?

I will be using it for design work mainly and obviously the internet..

I will be running some pretty big programs on it: 3ds max, auto cad, adobe design suite, microstation, rhino 3d blah blah blah....

I know £300 isnt really allot and wont buy me much in the way of storage and stuff, but I want a laptop that I can maybe upgrade in the future by adding memory ect.. (if this is even possible anymore?)

im 100% not fussed about the look of the thing it just needs a screen at least 15" ; function>form

hope some of you guys can help as im a bit confused with things like this.

thanks

Clio 172 cup
Pm phuzion on here, he can get/build great laptops very cheaply, im well pleased with mine, as are many others on here

Save up until you can buy a decent one from the outset.

Trying to run 3D programs, cad, adobe and the rest of them on some cheapo laptop for £300 is going to be nigh on impossible from the outset. Let alone in a years time.

CLIO PH1 172
problem is i need it now like within a week.... and simply dont have the mon£y atm

to start with all i would probably need to run is adobe DS and microstation which iirc isnt a massive program..

where is a good site to buy from im guessing theres better places than comet/currys....

again i dont need it to be pretty.. just upgradable and not mega slow!

Get an interest free credit card and pay it off before the interest runs out.

Very little point buying a £400 laptop now and then buying another next year.

CLIO PH1 172
for the tasks i will be doing on the laptop would people recommend I definitely go for an i7 Processor over an i5?

- also is there any recommended sites/company's to look at for good prices/products of laptops?

Fiesta ST-3
I built up a Dell XPS using their online shop thing 3 and a half years ago. It's still running as well as the day I bought it. That was £700 well spent, I couldn't recommend them enough tbh!

CLIO PH1 172
Yea I know a couple ignitions that have built laptops using dell ? What kind of thing do you use it for ?

CLIO PH1 172
just brought a dell XPS 15

spec sheet

Base
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30 GHz
Memory
8192MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x4096]
Keyboard
Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
Video Card
2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M Graphics Card
Hard Drive
750GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Operating System
English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
Optical Devices
8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
Wireless Networking
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)
Cables
UK 250V Power Cord
Shipping Documents
English Documentation
Bundle
N08X5M04
Standard Warranty
Standard Service - 1 year of Collect & Return 10 day coverage included with your PC
Enhanced Service Packs
1Yr Collect & Returns Warranty – No upgrade selected
Integrated Mobile Broadband
Mobile Broadband Not Included
Order Information
XPS L502x Order - UK
Primary Battery
6-cell 56Whr Lithium Ion battery
Carrying Cases
No Carrying Case
Dell System Media Kit
XPS L502x Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
Color Choice
Metalloid Aluminum Cover
Accidental Damage Support
No Accidental Damage Protection
Online Backup
DataSafe Online Backup 2GB - 1 year licence
TV Tuner and Remote Control
TvTuner Not Included
LCD
15.6"(40 cm) HD WLED TL (1366x768) 720p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
DataSafe
Datasafe Local 2.3 Basic
Microsoft Application Software
Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
Protect your new PC
McAfee® SecurityCenter 15 Month Subscription
Power Supply
130W AC Adaptor

what do you think?

came to £813.02, slightly over budget but i figured it will last longer than a set of r888's ;)

Fiesta ST-3
Epic choice mate. Wouldn't have personally gone with McAfee, but that's just my experience.

As they say, buy cheap buy twice. You won't regret spending the extra!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Good spec laptop! Love how you went from £300, to £700 to £813 lol.

It started as greater than £300 then was upped to greater than £700.. so he's right in budget !

:rasp:

Hopefully there's a maths tutorial program on there with all the rest of the sh*t manufacturers add on computers these days Adam ;)