ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me a new TV

Hi guys, I’m looking to upgrade my 7 year old 42” LED LG tv.

Can anyone who knows about this stuff recommended me a 65” tv for max £1,000?

Been on currys website but they all look the same to me!

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I will be watching this thread, as i am going to buy a 65" after Xmas, i really want an OLED, but can't justify the price....

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I bought a smaller member of the family of that LG one (49SK8100) for the bedroom and I really like it. I don’t like the magic remote (like a wii remote) but if you click the the arrows on the remote it functions as a normal remote would, just wish I could turn off the cursor permanently!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
That ones only 50Hz though and the one I posted above is 100Hz. That’s better isn’t it?

Higher the Hz, the better the quality of fast motion e.g sports. But, it isn’t the only thing that deals with that, you’ve got the processor and quality of screen itself.

Get along and have a look, online just isn’t good enough to buy a TV, IMO you have to see it for yourself..

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Out of the three you have put, I’d go LG, but get it from richer sounds rather than curry’s.

Reactions: Ben
I went to Currys at the weekend to have a look. Decided to wait until the OLED TVs drop to around a grand as they looked fantastic.

They were all £2K plus so out of my budget at the moment really.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I went to Currys at the weekend to have a look. Decided to wait until the OLED TVs drop to around a grand as they looked fantastic.

They were all £2K plus so out of my budget at the moment really.
I have a horrible feeling i am going to end up getting carried away and just say f*ck it, and get an OLED...lol, especially if they come down to close to a grand.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
When you can get a 65 inch OLED for a grand Im going all in. £2.5 is a bit steep at the moment (just had to spunk that on a new boiler :( )
I am sure Richer Sounds were doing a 65" OLED for £1600 on Black Friday, i can't see it getting much cheaper than that in the near future.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Make sure you can cope with an oled, they can't be a little dark in a bright room and that you don't encourage any screen burn in depending on how you use it.

I ended up with a Samsung Q9FN - Spanking TV! But a little over your budget!

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Make sure you can cope with an oled, they can't be a little dark in a bright room and that you don't encourage any screen burn in depending on how you use it.

I ended up with a Samsung Q9FN - Spanking TV! But a little over your budget!

Is that QLED tv? they look really good as well, i have heard OLED can be a bit dark?

Is OLED similar to Plasma in terms of needing looking after and having lower brightness?

If so, I think OLED and Plasma are best suited to a mancave or a single person's house - otherwise careless partners and unthinking kids end up leaving the Sky selection screen on for minutes/hours at a time, making it burn-in city lol

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Fancy one myself for the new front room. Around 55” I think. Is oled the way forward these days then?

I switched from a 42 led to a 55 oled last year and it’s been faultless, no burn in, screen brightness has been perfectly fine and the picture quality is second to non.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Is that QLED tv? they look really good as well, i have heard OLED can be a bit dark?

Yeah it is, It's superb! With oled if you're a gamer, have lots of light in the room, or if you have a wife and kids that like leaving s**t on pause for hours while they do stuff in another room it's prefect.

Side by side the oled did nothing this couldn't and this is bell end proof so in that regard it wins for me - and this is from someone who 100% was going to buy an oled that day.

The one connect box to be fair also swung it as I loved it from the last TV, the fact all the connections are where you want them and not wedged behind the TV is a bonus.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Is OLED similar to Plasma in terms of needing looking after and having lower brightness?

If so, I think OLED and Plasma are best suited to a mancave or a single person's house - otherwise careless partners and unthinking kids end up leaving the Sky selection screen on for minutes/hours at a time, making it burn-in city lol

Permanent burn was all but eradicated long before the demise of plasma tv's. I don't think oled suffers any worse and the brightness levels are getting better all the time.

If I was spending around 1k on a TV I'd consider looking at Philips Ambilight as well as Samsung etc.

Permanent burn was all but eradicated long before the demise of plasma tv's. I don't think oled suffers any worse and the brightness levels are getting better all the time.

If I was spending around 1k on a TV I'd consider looking at Philips Ambilight as well as Samsung etc.
I just hate having bright white text 'ghosting' on less-well-lit pictures for minutes/hours/days after leaving it up for too long! lol

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Just got a LG55 oled for £959, saved £234 on the advertised price, no time for research as my VT plasma went pop last night ?

Clio 197,with megan'
Oled/lcd?. I spent some time looking/researching, before settling on LG 75inch LG 8100pla. I spent a lot of time. comparing specs, and the LG suits my needs. It looked huge at first, but you soon get used to the size.The Panasonic i had, showed some ghosting on fast moving sports programs, but none is noticeable on the LG.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Genuinely think you’d have to be mad to spend a lot of money on a TV these days.

I (against better judgement) bought a flagship Sony about 5 years ago. RRP was close to 2k and it was great.

Just spent £400 on one of those Samsung 4K sets that everyone has had on offer over NY and it knocks the Sony out of the park in every category.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Genuinely think you’d have to be mad to spend a lot of money on a TV these days.

I (against better judgement) bought a flagship Sony about 5 years ago. RRP was close to 2k and it was great.

Just spent £400 on one of those Samsung 4K sets that everyone has had on offer over NY and it knocks the Sony out of the park in every category.

Thats called progress.

Think about the car evolution - hot hatches these days having 400+BHP compared to even 5 years ago where 300 was the norm

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thats called progress.

Think about the car evolution - hot hatches these days having 400+BHP compared to even 5 years ago where 300 was the norm

Yeah for sure. But I don’t see how you can be “into TVs” like you can be into cars. Not only that but fast cars are more expensive than ever, whereas you can pickup a bigger TV for less than a grand than even existed 5 years ago.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
i recently bought a tv, paid a bit more than i was bargaining for, but when you dig into the mechanics and picture quality, their is a difference between the pictures on cheaper and more expensive tv's, also motion control and lighting is alot different, it's all a bit geeky, Tv's have come down massively in price over the last 12 months.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah for sure. But I don’t see how you can be “into TVs” like you can be into cars. Not only that but fast cars are more expensive than ever, whereas you can pickup a bigger TV for less than a grand than even existed 5 years ago.
Thats the new tech adopter premium , and also as mentioned parts are now cheaper.

There is a distinct difference between a £750 tv and a £1500 , but less so a £1500 than a £3000 TV. Law of diminishing returns

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Since moving in December I’ve recently treated myself to a new tech. I have now got a new 65" in the lounge which is a BRAVIA KD65XF8796BU 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

Last edited:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
In the kitchen is the same but a 55". The first picture is the kitchen TV with the smaller sonos beam soundbar which is brilliant. even when on 10 the sound is crystal clear
Second picture is the 65" with the sonos playbar which is a cracking bit of kit also. Unless you want to spend 2,5k on oled then I think these TV's are about as good as it gets. Same goes with similar LG and Samsung models. I wanted to spread my money around the house so I couldn't justify one TV at one cost so after a quick look around I settled on sony Bravia. The picture is great on both TV's and things like F1 and sports is great. Both TV's are 1000hz models so the imagery is excellent. The kitchen TV was around £750 and the 65" was £1099 reduced from £1400...
I can also vouch for richer sounds as they fitted my "homehub" under my stairs and also fitted my TV's and sound bars so they are wireless looking.
Also a good thing with the smaller soundbar is that it has a built in Alexa so when I walk downstairs in the morning I can tell it to switch the tv on and set the sound. I can also link my iTunes account to the sonos and play both speakers at the same time. They don't come with remotes either which is a pleasant change and nice to not be walking around with another remote, they just work off an app on your phone.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I know it’s not 65 but the LG OLED55B8 is on Hughes for £1100, been looking at it for myself as time’s come to move to 4K

Just wanted to come back on this because I spent time this weekend at a friend's house, who has the ambilight thing on his TV.

Man... it's f**king annoying... LOL

Super-bright to the point of being distracting, and on fast-moving TV (like The Grand Tour as they cut between presenters in the tent, between dark studio and bright window view behind them) it is slowwww to react, making it even more distracting.

So, in summary.... I don't like it :LOL: lol

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Just wanted to come back on this because I spent time this weekend at a friend's house, who has the ambilight thing on his TV.

Man... it's f**king annoying... LOL

Super-bright to the point of being distracting, and on fast-moving TV (like The Grand Tour as they cut between presenters in the tent, between dark studio and bright window view behind them) it is slowwww to react, making it even more distracting.

So, in summary.... I don't like it :LOL: lol

You can alter the brightness and change the reaction timing.
I'd say he needs to set it up better lol ?.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I also have 3 Hue-go lights in the kitchen which changes the whole room more subtle looking. Having the light right behind your tv can be a bit distracting. Plus I can move the hue lights around the house and even outside as they have a 3 hour charge on them

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I know it’s not 65 but the LG OLED55B8 is on Hughes for £1100, been looking at it for myself as time’s come to move to 4K

Bit late seeing this.
I got B8 last month £960 saved £234 on listed prices.
Got RS to match Costco’s price.

Out the box I was disappointed, this was to replace a Panny VT plasma that had awesome picture quality.

Spent some time on AV forums & got pointed to a setup thread, oh my what a difference 15 mins changing settings made!

Now very happy & plus side this thing is cheap to run unlike the energy hungry plasma.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Spent some time on AV forums & got pointed to a setup thread, oh my what a difference 15 mins changing settings made!

Now very happy & plus side this thing is cheap to run unlike the energy hungry plasma.

You got a link to the settings? Mines due back sometime next week after having the panel replaced so could do with fine tuning the picture.