ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me a router

clio 182
After a new router to send a wirless signal around my house to my pc upstairs (router downstairs) used for work- filezila etc, connect a ps3 to play online and sometimes a laptop. as my current d-link 524, keep playing up n when I turn it on n off to restart its never the same n doesn't keep the settings. Some times drops out when on pc and I repair and comes back. For example when uploading files using filezila u can't do anything else going on the Internet is slow and u can't even play a game on FIFA online. The ps3 is the worse, drops out all the time, signs me in but then doesn't connect to ea servers n then it'll drop out altogether. When playing online it's sometimes very slow n juddering then it'll drop out.

I've got cable broadband virgin. Menna be 100mb.

Need something with good signal strength that will send it all over the house.

Cheers cs's if u need any other info please ask me.

Thanks

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
Have you asked Virgin if they'll provide something? Depending how long you've had that router, they may give you a free "upgrade"/replacement. Especially with you been on a 100mb package which I expect is expensive. Tell them you're going elsewhere if they don't sort you out with a decent Dual-Band wireless router (tbh I doubt they'll give you a dual-band one - but it's worth a shot). Otherwise just accept whichever wireless-n router they offer you.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd personally recommend pretty much any of the Draytek range - quality routers those....

http://www.draytek.co.uk/

Do you actually play online via wireless? It's awful - barely unplayable for the most part. I always preach that physically connecting via a cable is so much better. For an RTS game, you'd be fine for wireless. But for ones where updates on screen are important - such as your FIFA game or FPSs - then a cable connection really is the way to go.

D.

clio 182
Says I have a 100 but it'll b highly unlikely. Ok cheers I'll have a look at those. Is there anything I need to be looming for when buying a router?

Yeah playing FIFA over a wireless. Most of the time it's ok..... I do need a cable connection but my mum doesn't like the idea of drilling holes in walls and another cable running outside the house to go upstairs to my room

Tesla MP3 2021
Says I have a 100 but it'll b highly unlikely. Ok cheers I'll have a look at those. Is there anything I need to be looming for when buying a router?

Yeah playing FIFA over a wireless. Most of the time it's ok..... I do need a cable connection but my mum doesn't like the idea of drilling holes in walls and another cable running outside the house to go upstairs to my room

I think your getting confused with your LAN speed. 100Mb Broadband from Virgin isn't actually on sale yet.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

There you go - problem solved with the cables.... ;)

http://www.netgear.co.uk/powerline_wallplugged_extenders.php

Got a pair myself at home as the PC is in the attic but the router is in the back bedroom. The only stipulation these powerline adapters need is that they require their own physical connection to the wall socket. Plugging one into a trailing socket will not work as the trailing socket itself 99% of the time has filtration in it that blocks the data signal.

D.

Clio 172 Cup
I've got the D-Link DIR-615 with my 100mb and it works spot on. Shouldn't be that expensive either, sure I only paid about £50-£60 about a year ago.

Running PC, Laptop, PS3 and 2 blackberry's through it.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I think your getting confused with your LAN speed. 100Mb Broadband from Virgin isn't actually on sale yet.

I thought it was being trialled in certain areas for customers with the existing 50MB service.

And as for routers my 5 years old linksys WRT54g is awesome.

Clio 172mk2
when i upgraded to 50meg they gave me the new modem and D-Link DIR-615, its got virgins firmware on and tbh its s**t, needed reseting every day so went to d-links on firmware which wast much better. ended up puttin dd-wrt on it and its been spot on since

clio 182
There you go - problem solved with the cables.... ;)

http://www.netgear.co.uk/powerline_wallplugged_extenders.php

Got a pair myself at home as the PC is in the attic but the router is in the back bedroom. The only stipulation these powerline adapters need is that they require their own physical connection to the wall socket. Plugging one into a trailing socket will not work as the trailing socket itself 99% of the time has filtration in it that blocks the data signal.

D.

sorted some from ebuyer just now, should be with me tomorrow. order 2 as i need 3 plugs, router, ps3 and my comp upstairs. hopefully this will sort everything out but knowing my luck it wont lol

and apparently these work on extendion leads too :)

Skoda Fabia vRS
when i needed a router i bought the cheapest Belkin one from PC World for about £20, its been great, though now id probably get an N speed one

Clown Car
I'd personally recommend pretty much any of the Draytek range - quality routers those....

http://www.draytek.co.uk/

Do you actually play online via wireless? It's awful - barely unplayable for the most part. I always preach that physically connecting via a cable is so much better. For an RTS game, you'd be fine for wireless. But for ones where updates on screen are important - such as your FIFA game or FPSs - then a cable connection really is the way to go.

D.
You pay a bit more for Draytek stuff, but it is so much better than the mainstream stuff.

clio 182
sorted this now,

got them things u plug into the wall socket and plug and enthanet cable in, plug and play! awsome would highly recommend them