ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me an eBay gaming PC

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
My laptop has finally given up the ghost. Have been looking at getting a new PC from eBay.

Budget £300
Ideally want a 2tb hard drive.
8 cores or mega fast processor
Biggest amount of RAM possible
USB3
Built in wifi
Windows 7 professional
Needs to be able to do video editing

Thanks chaps :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
(8 cores + 2TB hard drive + big RAM + needs to be able to do video editing) > £300 budget

You will probably struggle to find a decent video-editing-capable setup for 300 quid unfortunately mate. The nature of that type of work means a fairly decent spec is needed if you want to be productive whilst the PC remains responsive.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
(8 cores + 2TB hard drive + big RAM + needs to be able to do video editing) > £300 budget

You will probably struggle to find a decent video-editing-capable setup for 300 quid unfortunately mate. The nature of that type of work means a fairly decent spec is needed if you want to be productive whilst the PC remains responsive.

Well I can probably push £300 a bit! Really looking for something good all round but want to be able to be able to edit some YouTube videos when I start to do it more seriously.

Why eBay? What's wrong with ebuyer etc?
eBay seems to have quite a few good custom PCs cheaper than ebuyer!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

As Sharky says m8 - you'll be hard pressed to get something decent for that money. You might strike it lucky with a seller who just wants to get rid - or they haven't a real clue as to the value of what they are selling.

With all the best wills and intentions - even people who build these things for themselves (like me) - the budget just creeps up and up. I had £1k initially in my head to revamp my PC and I bet that ended up nearer £1.6k by the time I'd finished. I'm very happy with the end result, but it's easy to let your 'one or two upgrades' run away from you. :wink:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'm collecting the PC I linked to above tonight :smile: going to see how I get on with it and then might upgrade the graphics card if I need to. Hopefully I'll be able to cap the spend and not go crazy like I have with car parts! It should be good enough for my needs. Pretty much anything would be better than my laptop.
As Sharky says m8 - you'll be hard pressed to get something decent for that money. You might strike it lucky with a seller who just wants to get rid - or they haven't a real clue as to the value of what they are selling.

With all the best wills and intentions - even people who build these things for themselves (like me) - the budget just creeps up and up. I had £1k initially in my head to revamp my PC and I bet that ended up nearer £1.6k by the time I'd finished. I'm very happy with the end result, but it's easy to let your 'one or two upgrades' run away from you. :wink:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm collecting the PC I linked to above tonight :smile: going to see how I get on with it and then might upgrade the graphics card if I need to. Hopefully I'll be able to cap the spend and not go crazy like I have with car parts! It should be good enough for my needs. Pretty much anything would be better than my laptop.
:) Good luck with it mate - I hope it allows you to do what you need. I guess it depends on what exactly you are doing editing wise. The video I made the other day took 8.5 hours to generate including the effects (shown below) and that was on an enthusiast-level 8-core Intel i7 CPU that costs over a grand alone...! It also used about 24GB of RAM! A lot of processing and work for a 3 minute 1080p video!

(Apologies for the spam video)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
:smile: Good luck with it mate - I hope it allows you to do what you need. I guess it depends on what exactly you are doing editing wise. The video I made the other day took 8.5 hours to generate including the effects (shown below) and that was on an enthusiast-level 8-core Intel i7 CPU that costs over a grand alone...! It also used about 24GB of RAM! A lot of processing and work for a 3 minute 1080p video!

(Apologies for the spam video)

Cheers matey I'll be trying it out properly this weekend. I realise it won't be wizz bang and super quick at editing but it's a darn site quicker than my old laptop. Has some great extras with it too like the hard drive dock, screen, extra RAM etc.
That's a brilliant video! Would love to know how to do effects like that. Am I right thinking it's after effects? I've just downloaded premier pro after using vegas for a while but am slightly out of my depth (very). Always great to see videos like that to know what's possible with a lot of effort. Better than my last go but it's all just an experiment for me. Will

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers matey I'll be trying it out properly this weekend. I realise it won't be wizz bang and super quick at editing but it's a darn site quicker than my old laptop. Has some great extras with it too like the hard drive dock, screen, extra RAM etc.
That's a brilliant video! Would love to know how to do effects like that. Am I right thinking it's after effects? I've just downloaded premier pro after using vegas for a while but am slightly out of my depth (very). Always great to see videos like that to know what's possible with a lot of effort. Better than my last go but it's all just an experiment for me. Will

If there's an improvement and the new setup allows you to get on and do something you enjoy then happy days :)

Thanks - glad you like the video. Yes, you are absolutely correct - a large portion of the video is generated in After Effects before being passed into Premiere Pro for final composition. It's all about having a go and having a play with the software. From your video I see you like to get through alternators... hahaha! I like the Christmas tree as well :)