ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

recommend me some tyres

Clio 1.5 dci
my wheels are 16'' and 7'' wide.. no idea how to write that in the 'correct format' and i'm in need of two front tyres. i dont want to spend and arm and a leg but don't want crap! so i need to be recommended some tyres and where to get them from...

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
These are really good IMO. I made assumptions about the size required so you may need to change it to suit.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Uniroyal Rainsport2's.

Superb tyres for the money.

Yep, get these.

I'd have been in a horrendous accident if it wasn't for these yesterday,
I drove through the worst lightning storm with monsoon rain,
the standing water on the motorway was so bad people were aquaplaning all over the shop.

My UR2s never lost grip once.

will it say on my current tyres what size i need?

Yep, it'll say something like 195/45/16, at least that what's on mine.

195 is the width, 45 is the tyre wall and 16 is the alloy size.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like RS2's a lot as well, but dont ever try and use them hard in only mildly damp conditions or in the dry, they just fall apart.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
dont ever try and use them hard in only mildly damp conditions or in the dry, they just fall apart.

Bah, I was about to order 4 uniroyal RS2's as a nice all rounder. Any other opinions of these in the dry ? :dapprove:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bah, I was about to order 4 uniroyal RS2's as a nice all rounder. Any other opinions of these in the dry ? :dapprove:

Its not an "opinion" its just the harsh reality.

I have a set of 1.8 valver rims about to go up for sale with some rainsports on that have done 3 trackdays, and because the last one I did (llandow) dried out a bit in the afternoon I will be listing one of them as badly damaged as a result.

Will get you a picture to show what I mean.

The shoulder on the passenger side front has completely worn out in about 30 mins or so use on an only damp track.

Great in the wet though, or just for normal driving, but they absolutely cannot hack hard (ie trackday) dry use.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
Its not an "opinion" its just the harsh reality.

I have a set of 1.8 valver rims about to go up for sale with some rainsports on that have done 3 trackdays, and because the last one I did (llandow) dried out a bit in the afternoon I will be listing one of them as badly damaged as a result.

Will get you a picture to show what I mean.

The shoulder on the passenger side front has completely worn out in about 30 mins or so use on an only damp track.

Great in the wet though, or just for normal driving, but they absolutely cannot hack hard (ie trackday) dry use.

Blimey! that's pretty bad.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member

Depends how you drive really, i've never lost grip on a dry day or felt that their dry performance was below par,
and I like a spirited drive most days, the kind of abuse a track day will subject them to isn't really going
to be replicated on the road, unless you drive like a tit.

They're road tyres, so they're not going to be as good as others on a track day. (unless it's raining)

FF 182
Uniroyal rainsport 2, very good mid range tyre, avoid yoko prada spec 2's as they are about as much good as a chocolate fire guard in the wet

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On a track sure. That's not what they have been designed for.

I used them on the Nissan and also the Mazda and never had them disintegrate in summer driving.

On the road, shouldnt be a problem unless you drive like a complete tool.

I just always assume when someone says "all rounder tyres" they mean wet roads, dry roads, wet tracks, dry tracks.

For that I would prefer a set of RSR or similar TBH

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Uniroyal rainsport 2, very good mid range tyre, avoid yoko prada spec 2's as they are about as much good as a chocolate fire guard in the wet

My experience of the 3 main budget tyres you see used (I have used them all on the same clio 172 for comparison)
RS2: Fantastic wet weather, acceptable dry for the road, no good for track unless its properly wet
T1R: Ok in the wet and ok in the dry on the road, not great but certianly not bad at either, on track feel pretty mediocre at both.
Prada: Good in the dry on the road, useable on a dry track too, wet weather on the road they are a bit wanting but not dangerous or anything, wet on the track they are rubbish

So if I had to have one of those and use it for road and track and wet and dry, it would be the T1R, but the RSR is a lot better (but dearer)

TBF I'd hazard the majority on here would never do a track day, so chucking that into an all rounder may only suit a minority of users.

Anywho, if the boost barges didn't destroy them on the road, a little shopping trolley won't!

2001 Clio 172
Sorry to jump in, I'm also thinking about ordering 2 of these. The Uniroyal RS2's on Camskill are XL, would that make a difference?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Hankook V12s, Falken ZE912s, Avon ZZ3, Kumho KU31 AND Toyo T1R are some good value mid range tyres.

clio sport 172 ph2
bought PS2's last year and amazed with them, both in the dry and wet, i need another pair of front tyres now, so now im going for PS3's

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
RSR's here WOW!

SAM_0076.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Providing they dont fall apart like lots of people's have the rsr are hard to fault. Good in dry good in wet, last well. Not too dear.

Just the reliability issues that stops them being a simple choice. I'm taking six to the ring just in case!

Ive got ps3's they are expensive but i find them a good alrounder, lots of grip even when its british summer time.

182 cup
Just got a full set of Yokohama AD08s fitted at the weekend. I have high hopes for them.
Previously had a set of origl Mich exaltos and PS3.
New AD08s are not bedded in yet or had much of a chance to push them, but will do my best and give feedback.
Use= my everyday "spirited driving" car + sprint & hillclimbs + Cadwell Track days.

I've not really been using the 172 for b road blasting and gsd3's dont last that well. Ive tried Vred Sportrac 3's. I'm quite impressed actually. I would say 90% of the grip of the gsd3's.

Clio 1.5 dci
Hankook V12s, Falken ZE912s, Avon ZZ3, Kumho KU31 AND Toyo T1R are some good value mid range tyres.

ended up going for the Falkens, haven't bedded in properly yet but already are so much better than what i had on there before.

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
i got 2 yokohama s drives for £65 each and although not in the ballpark of the better/dearer tyres,i cant fault them so far tbh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i got 2 yokohama s drives for £65 each and although not in the ballpark of the better/dearer tyres,i cant fault them so far tbh.

My mrs 172 had S drives on when we got it, they are pleasant on the road, reasonable grip, and even on track werent too bad for a normal road tyre either (did a couple of bedford days where we didnt have space to put trackday tyres in due to snowboarding after)

Im quite impressed by them.

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
me too bud,i thought for that cash,id be looking at more shitty sunnys like
the ones that were on it when i bought it lol.

its got avons on the the other 2 wheels but ill be matching up with 2 more s-drives when theyre ready.
dont do track days in the car just on the bikes so these tyres are spot on for the road.