ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recovering lost data

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
The Mrs (no) has decided to delete everything off her macbook thinking it was in the cloud. What she didn't realise was she has deleted it all from the cloud and now cannot get anything back.

I have tried the recently deleted items in icloud and icloud drive, we have downloaded a programme called easeus which has found loads of items deleted however for some reason there is a password on the macintosh hd data drive. Jess has tried every password she would normally use and cannot unlock it.

Does any one have any ideas on either how to reset this password and secondly how to recover the deleted data?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The Mrs (no) has decided to delete everything off her macbook thinking it was in the cloud. What she didn't realise was she has deleted it all from the cloud and now cannot get anything back.

I have tried the recently deleted items in icloud and icloud drive, we have downloaded a programme called easeus which has found loads of items deleted however for some reason there is a password on the macintosh hd data drive. Jess has tried every password she would normally use and cannot unlock it.

Does any one have any ideas on either how to reset this password and secondly how to recover the deleted data?
Send me her email and password and I'll try.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if this is of any use?

How do I unlock my encrypted Mac hard drive without password?
See this post for details.
  1. Boot your Mac and hold down ⌘-R (Command –R) to boot from the Mac's Recovery HD partition. ...
  2. Open Disk Utility.
  3. Select your locked hard drive.
  4. Under the File menu, select Unlock “Drive Name” or Turn Off Encryption… , based on what you want to do.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Contact Apple I guess? There will be someone somewhere with the ability to recover it but whether you can get in touch with them is the question. Sooner the better.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Contact Apple I guess? There will be someone somewhere with the ability to recover it but whether you can get in touch with them is the question. Sooner the better.

That's worth noting. If 'officially' there's no need for it to think that any data left over is useful - it could be getting overwritten literally sat quiet on the desktop. Files and folders are stored randomly across the drive (assuming its a mechanical one?) - meaning there's no control over which sectors will get written over next.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Not sure if this is of any use?

How do I unlock my encrypted Mac hard drive without password?
See this post for details.
  1. Boot your Mac and hold down ⌘-R (Command –R) to boot from the Mac's Recovery HD partition. ...
  2. Open Disk Utility.
  3. Select your locked hard drive.
  4. Under the File menu, select Unlock “Drive Name” or Turn Off Encryption… , based on what you want to do.

She would need the password or FileVault recovery key though otherwise it’d be a massive security hole and make encryption rather pointless!

I would also hazard a guess that FileVault is not enabled because to boot the Mac you need to enter the password to decrypt the drive to boot it in the first place.

ideally the drive should have been cloned in its entirety as soon as this occurred, booting it or running it is reducing the possibility of recovering anything.