ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reducing Image File Size - Photoshop/Image experts please

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Hi,

I have around 10,000 images that are currently saved on my computer and I want to save them as 'web optimised' to reduce the file size. The image dimensions need to stay the same (they are all the same , however I need to reduce the file size by about half without losing too much quality.

The original files are around 70kb each and when I save as web optimised in Photoshop with a quality of 60, it drops the filesize to around 30-35kb. Visually I can't really tell any difference between the files so I'm pleased with that.

Because I have 10k of them to do I want to do them in a batch/automated process. This is where Photoshop seems to fail on me, if I use the built in tool for this, and reduce the quality the file size doesn't drop very much (down to about 60kb) and the quality is really poor compared to when I do them individually.

Can anyone think of another way I can do this, or do you have any tips?
Thanks in advance!

Is there a reason, other than space that you want to reduce them?

Personally I'd probably just buy an external drive for £50 and put them on there and it's always better to keep pics at a better quality.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
batch photo resizer program.

Which one? I tried the one built into Photoshop (which I thought would be the ultimate but it's cr*p) :(

Is there a reason, other than space that you want to reduce them?

Personally I'd probably just buy an external drive for £50 and put them on there and it's always better to keep pics at a better quality.

Yeah the reason is because the files are going to be viewed over Mobile Internet so need to be as small as possible, a 30kb reduction in size is crucial unfortunately :(
If I 'save for web' them individually they are pretty much the same quality as the original though.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Thanks guys, tried both pieces of software and nConvert produced the best quality image at the lowest file size, it was also pretty fast. The quality still isn't as good as when you do it manually but I think I can live with it!

Thanks again!