ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refitting standard airbox

2004 RB182 Cup
Hi guys, so I bought a standard airbox off eBay to replace the ramair induction kit that’s fitted to my 172 cup. However Iv noticed the intake on the standard airbox is oval! Has anyone just fitted a CAF pipe to this even though it’s oval? If not has anyone got a standard one they’d sell?

Thanks
Tom

2004 RB182 Cup
Thought that was a bit hard to decipher! So I can just put any old hose on? Was worried what size to order just with it being oval. Could be hard to get it to seal

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Yea the round one runs to acoustic valve and oval is the air feed?
Big oval one runs to the acoustic valve , smaller round one is just an air feed iirc . I think the smaller round one is 50mm , you can use a round one on the oval side , you'll obviously just have to make it fit . Some people remove the acoustic valve altogether .

2004 RB182 Cup
Here’s what I have. Seems both are oval ?
96000C5F-2EAB-4FD7-B907-E25FD3EE6588.jpeg
94C56A75-88C5-436C-B091-0C3AC492C28C.jpeg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Ahhh yeah you're right . They're oval on the airbox end and round on the other end . On the oval end there are like some little lugs that sit inside the holes to hold them in place . If you get the right size tubing they should be able to sit inside and not fall out . Or you could put up an ad in the wanted section. I'm sure somebody will have both of the tubes lying about .

Clio RS 172 2002
The hole on the bottom of the stock box used a felt pipe that goes under the box to the front and then draws air from behind the headlight -- where the cold air is. Definitely want to get something similar in place.

The second intake uses another felt pipe that goes down to the left front wheel to the acoustic valve where there is more good cold air. Leaving the hole open will draw air from behind the headlight too, but I found it create a loud drone from the induction, which annoyed me pretty quickly. I'd suggest replacing the original pipe too. You can disable the acoustic valve by disconnecting the vacuum line but leave it on (remember to plug the vacuum pipe connection at the intake manifold).

2004 RB182 Cup
The hole on the bottom of the stock box used a felt pipe that goes under the box to the front and then draws air from behind the headlight -- where the cold air is. Definitely want to get something similar in place.

The second intake uses another felt pipe that goes down to the left front wheel to the acoustic valve where there is more good cold air. Leaving the hole open will draw air from behind the headlight too, but I found it create a loud drone from the induction, which annoyed me pretty quickly. I'd suggest replacing the original pipe too. You can disable the acoustic valve by disconnecting the vacuum line but leave it on (remember to plug the vacuum pipe connection at the intake manifold).
Thanks for that, I’m in the process of trying to find someone who is selling the original piping. Proving to be quite difficult. I thought there would be plenty around with people replacing them with induction kits

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Best bet would be to find someone breaking a 1*2 on eBay tbh. Most people bin it straight away or like mine, don’t get purchased with one fitted

Land Rover
I recently did a similar thing and sourced all the parts to fit the original air box.
Put an advert in the “wanted” section of this forum, l had about three offers of air boxes, acoustic valves and hoses.
Alternatively l have found RENPARTS to be very helpful they may be able to sell you the complete airbox with hoses brackets etc.

2004 RB182 Cup
Could someone show me what way the airbox bolts in. I don’t seem to have the brackets needed to mount it. It looks like it may mount onto the ecu bracket at the back but can’t see how the front mounts

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Oooh the pipes seem to be made from plastic in that pic, with joins between moulded pieces. Were they ever available?
I think it's just the pic that makes them look like they're plastic. The ones in my 182 were the felt type you mentioned , I had the same felt type in my 172 also.

Clio RS 172 2002
I’ve only ever seen felt. Was hoping the came in plastic because they may be a bit more durable particularly the acoustic value pipe which gets squashed and moved about a lot being next to the battery and near the headlight.