ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refurbing alloys yourself

Ive heard u can do it yourself. Ive got some ph1s, with lightish scuff marks around the edges. Can i fill them in some (with some kind of adhesive) , sand down, then spray...???

Or bad idea?

Punto/Clio GTT

easy people. jus sand down the scratches with P320 or P400 sand paper. any deep scratches jus put a tight skim of filler in them..rub down... primer them... quick rub again... paint.. laquer. what hassle? :p

FM

It is quite easy for minor scrapes if you can match the paint(silver /black is usually easy)You need the tyre off tho and feather the edge with 600 or higher waterproof paper.I dont bother with filler on the edge because the tyre fitter will probably disturb it when the tyre is popped onto the rim

ok, kool

I need to know what kind of filler id use. I heard you could use adhesive, i.e. araldite, but i need something that will paint over ok..?

Also, will any metal paint do, or do i need special wheel paint?

any ideas?

cheers

Use an epoxy putty---the type thats in a "sausage"--the hardener is in the middle and you basically just slice off what you need and then roll and mix it till it gets warm,you then have about 10 minutes to work before it hardens

It can be sanded and painted.Auto paints are fine for wheels but I would finish with a clear coat and good quality polish

Meg on pistonheads £6995

Ive been told a little dremel drill is best

AND to leave the tyres on - just touch-up with a paint pen and lacquer pen.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

im getting my kahns done for 100 quid (all 4), which is good i think. got kerbing all round them as well. (that halfords kit that peeps take about looks crap)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

takes friggin ages. 3 houras later and if only done half a wheels. took it to the shotblasters, and it took 10mins and cost £15

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

Quote: Originally posted by mr sheep on 10 March 2004

im getting my kahns done for 100 quid (all 4), which is good i think. got kerbing all round them as well. (that halfords kit that peeps take about looks crap)
a place in derby called carmen coachworks, he originally said about 200 quid but when i took the wheels down he said he would do them for 100 quid. thats even with a bright/hyper silver finish. (better than the original colour )

i suppose it all depends on how much damage and the type of wheel, the kahns are 5 spoke and simple. so hell just sandblast them and smooth the edges with a lathe and filler. two days and done .

ill post some before and afters on next week.