ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reliability/Cost in 4th and 5th year of ownership?

Clio 182
As my 182 is nearly 3 and I'm not intending to replace it, would be interested to know from 172 owners, what sort of things went wrong and how much they spent on their cars in the 4th and 5th year of ownership?

The high cost of extending the warranty was making me wonder how much is likely to go wrong :S

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
fith year or 70k is the biggie, its cambelt time! Other than that just general servicing. My car is a nov 2002, and on 70k. I got the cambelt done @ 50k through a mate, as i rag the s**t out of mine ;)

Mazda MX5 1.8
all depends whether uve got a good 'un or not and whether u drive it hard

generally there isnt much u can say for deffinate will go wrong but ull have to factor in that the cambelt will need changing as above...... and then its just the usual stuff

Clio 182
Mine's been good so far, only on 25k, few track days but tyres/brakes only replaced for the first time late last year and the ignition barrel and cd player were the only things done under warranty so I've been really pleased so far *touch wood*

Scirocco GT 210
Mine's 6 years old now and nothing goes wrong with it.

Starting to rattle like fooook though. :dapprove:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
mines 6 years old done 54k and needs a new gearbox (tiny crunch in 3rd nothing major), was my fault though in fairness, usual crap exhaust, but a s/s will sort that soon also had a hose leak, nothing much really.

megane rs 175
mines a 02 cv boot just gone and the wipers only work on squirters the button on the end doesnt work either but the rear wipers still works so at least i can see were ive been:) , the heater fan stopped working but took that apart and lubed it up that works fine now....

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty tbh if you've never had any major problems so far . If it's been backwards and forwards to the dealership during your ownership then it might be worth considering imo .

Clio 182
I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty tbh if you've never had any major problems so far . If it's been backwards and forwards to the dealership during your ownership then it might be worth considering imo .

Yeah no I'm not, it's too expensive, I'll take my chances...

53 Clio's & counting
mines just turned on 100k and runs spot on (touch wood....)

revs clean to 7200 when warm with no funny noises,had a cv gaiter pop off but more grease and new clip and she good as new :)

few lil rattles inside but nothin bad,no clunks or knocks so id say mileage isnt a worry

Last edited:
  Dirty E91
Karen,

I'm in the same position as you, my car will be 3 years old come 21st May, although it's got a few more miles than your (42900 as of yesterday)!

I'm not really expecting too many problems as my car has been very reliable in the 3 years, been in twice for warranty work, last time was because the hazard switch wasn't working (hardly catastrophic!).

Year 4 - Cambelt@36k (£500), worn rear shocks (£150), most issues occured in the 4th year.

Normal servicing and Tyre/Wear/Pad/Disc still apply.

Year 5 and 6 has been reasonably care free to be honest.

Clio 182
Year 4 - Cambelt@36k (£500), worn rear shocks (£150), most issues occured in the 4th year.

Cambelt at 36k for £500 - oh s**t.

Dirty E91

Are these Renault prices?

Cambelt at 36k for £500 - oh s**t.

Was a fault on the cam, originally mis-diagnosed by a stealer as an alternator problem, was arse raped around £700 in the process, luckily my Llloyds TSB Car Select warranty covered the £500 non-stealer charge.

Are these Renault prices?

Jog on sunshine!
Stealer would charge double that.

it's year 5 and 72k for a cambelt,

You mean it's supposed to be 5 years or 72k for a cambelt?
Not always true, if you know what your listening for you can hear a worn cambelt... luckily my mate did :)

Mini Cooper S sport
How much was the extended warranty Karen?

My 182 is 3 in December, I was thinking I'd change it then but I'm not sure I want to. After the alternator/leaky washer jet/blown shock/cd player were all done under warranty it's been trouble-free for over a year now.

My 172 will be 5 this year. I've had the rear discs replaced, and all the shocks are as good as dead, otherwise all is well.

Clio 182
How much was the extended warranty Karen?

£500 for 12 months up to 60,000 miles or £800 up to 80,000 miles... (can pay in 10 interest free instalments). Includes Renault Assistance. Can be transferred if you sell the car in a private sale.

Has anyone else on here taken this out btw??

Mini Cooper S sport
£500 for 12 months up to 60,000 miles or £800 up to 80,000 miles... (can pay in 10 interest free instalments). Includes Renault Assistance. Can be transferred if you sell the car in a private sale.

Ouch, won't bother with that then!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I don't think it's worth it, whats going to go wrong that costs £500 to fix?

fith year or 70k is the biggie, its cambelt time! Other than that just general servicing. My car is a nov 2002, and on 70k. I got the cambelt done @ 50k through a mate, as i rag the s**t out of mine ;)
I bet the price you paid also helped.
72k on the dot is fine if you've warently if it breaks under warently they pay up and give you a whole new engine.
The costs fo just a few parts ie throttle body etc add p quickly meaning the warently very good value often.
Has anyone else on here taken this out btw??
I've got it till 90k I think or 110k (rules changed after I took mine out) its well worth it realy as parts are expensive and the warently does cover you just like the normal one does.