ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remote Assistance/Desktop : HELP!

Clio 197
How on earth do you make this thing work?

All the settings are there to allow it.

I need to connect to another machine that's online.... but how on earth do I find them?

:S

RS 200
Need to make sure port 3389 are open on any firewalls if your doing it on the net, aswell as making sure that what ever your trying to connect to is set to allow remote connections / invitations.

Should just be able to put the IP address of the machine into Remote Desktop connection, or if using Remote Assistance I think it can be done through MSN Messenger by sending an invitation or they can email you an invitation.

Chris

Clio 172mk2
u need to know yer other pc`s ip addy the put http:// the add / somet

i forget the last part so long since ive needed to do it , if the machines on a different network , and yer conecting over the net and its on a router , the router needs to be set to route any conections on that port to the specific machine

Why use VNC over RDP? Rediculous solution to Omar's problem of RDP not working.

Follow what Telfords Lurk says instead.

As father and son....
I would put substantial amounts of money on the probabilty you have Windows XP software firewall on one and or both machines.

What's the speed like on Ultravnc?

I'm using Remote desktop to view this forum (office firewall won't let me) and it's painfully slow if any pages have pictures on them :(

As father and son....
VNC is prettyl welld one, u can tweak it a lot more than RDC to eliminate some of the heavier stuff such as wallpapers, colour depth and so forth

RB 182
Hotshot said:
VNC is prettyl welld one, u can tweak it a lot more than RDC to eliminate some of the heavier stuff such as wallpapers, colour depth and so forth
You can do those settings in RDC.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I use both everyday and RDP is definitely a lot faster. With RDP you can also map drives, printers, ports and even sounds back to the client. And it will let you tweak the visual effects (wallpaper, animations etc).

I still use VNC as it will run on just about anything which is handy. A really long stick is quite good to ;)

RS 200
Hotshot said:
I would put substantial amounts of money on the probabilty you have Windows XP software firewall on one and or both machines.

I'll second that, just got to make sure your ports 3389 are open and that you have setup any internal port forwarding on your router correctly.

One you have a connection, RDC is a great tool, use it every day to check mail on my home server, will do you fine for most tasks that need to be done remotely. I use mine over my 1Mb connection with only 128Kb upload and its fine, with no fine tuning on the RDC software in regards to colour depths, background images etc, changing these however can really improve performance of the connection especially over a dialup.

Have a play around with it but I think RDC is a great tool.

Chris

Clio 197
I've not had a chance to play with it yet... (the urgency has now gone!).

Ta for the advice: will try everything above..

Oms. :) :)