ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removal of superglue on paintwork

RS Clio 172 Cup
Previous owner of car decided to glue on the yellow 172 badge on the door on my Cup. For some reason they used superglue. As the '172' is on slight angle, ideally i would like to replace it and put a new one on straight.

I know the yellow 172 badges usually fall of, but using superglue is abit stupid IMO....

Has anyone got any idea's of removing the badges with superglue on them, so that i dont pull of the lacquer and paint when i do remove them?

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
You could possibly soak a cloth in something like Tar and Glue remover or Auto Smart Tardis and leave on the badge for a few hours to see if it loosens off, you may be lucky and not mess up the paint... but then again you may peel the laquer and paint off.

RS Clio 172 Cup
You could possibly soak a cloth in something like Tar and Glue remover or Auto Smart Tardis and leave on the badge for a few hours to see if it loosens off, you may be lucky and not mess up the paint... but then again you may peel the laquer and paint off.

Will try when i get home, but my biggest worry is that it will peel of the paint and will leave a patch on the door.

Its definatley superglue as around the badge is a dry white paste, that looks like superglue when its set off and dried...

it is nail polish remover but in a light form, you can get the proper stuff from a DIY store. I have used it to remove sap before and have not had a problem,

RS Clio 172 Cup
it is nail polish remover but in a light form, you can get the proper stuff from a DIY store. I have used it to remove sap before and have not had a problem,

Will try tar and superglue remover first, then will try acetone if no luck?

Cheers for help people! ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
Is that the stuff, women use on fake nails? If so, will it damage the paintwork?

Possibly, but unlikely to be honest. Just make sure you don't let it dribble and settle anywhere. You could try freezing it off and see what happens there, but again be careful.

Problem is superglue isn't the easiest thing to remove. Heat wouldn't do much I dont think. Solvent is probably the best way to go. Unfortunately you're likely to damage your paint either way. Just be patient with it. Maybe apply solvent to it over a period of time gradually and see what happens.

You'll probably have to polish afterwards to remove any marks the glue has caused.

If you remove the badge itself you could try claying, but thats a very long shot.

Acetone is a strong form or Nail polish remover, super glue remove is probs the same thing as acetone eats away at it (or melts it) Dont put it on plastic as it will eat away at that too.