ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remove mk1 gearknob without damaging it?

I thought the Mk1s had a leather gaitor as standard??

The knobs are friction fit though apparently - so in theory you should be able to twist them off...

Years ago I removed mine without damaging it. My old man has a thing with a rubber strap on it which you can move to however big or small you want it, as the strap is rubber it doesn't damage it. All I did was shove it round it & turn it anti-clockwice.

Places like b&q etc sell the thing, it's cheap too iirc.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
The new gaitor will have a tie wrap, so should slip over gearknob anyway!

Years ago I removed mine without damaging it. My old man has a thing with a rubber strap on it which you can move to however big or small you want it, as the strap is rubber it doesn't damage it. All I did was shove it round it & turn it anti-clockwice.

It must have taken 1 hell of a tug? Is there danger of ruining the whole gear column for the sake of a £10 knob? Although now spent >£40 on new gaitor and surround).

Last edited:

It must have taken 1 hell of a tug? Is there danger of ruining the whole gear column for the sake of a £10 knob? Although now spent >£40 on new gaitor and surround).
Iirc it came of with a bit of force (just a shrp twist really) not enough force to bend the gear stick etc.