ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

remove OEM head unit

Hello,
Ive bought my girlfriend a sony mp3 cd player and connects2 adpater for her clio for xmas. Im going to fit it myself, but I dont want to spoil the suprise by asking or rooting round in her car, so I thoight Id ask here.
Should she have been given some stereo keys with the car when she bought it new, or am I going to have to faff around with skewers/screwdrivers to get the OEM unit out? Failing that would renault dealers or ICE centers have the tools to whip it out.
I would of course be willing to procude ID / reg documents to prove to them that I am not a scrote!

Thanks
Jon

Halfords and you can buy standard stereo remover keys or just bend a coat hanger in a u shape. Either than or like you say an Ice shop will get it out in seconds.

Where you based as people on here are more often than not willing to help!

Not always likely that the correct keys are available.(without spending £££!)

4 skewers work very well although you may need something that you can grip to pull the OEM unit out easily

It is a doddle!

Its dead easy to do.

Get the ink parts of BIC pens and stick one down each of the holes holding the stereo in about 2 inches (you need to push them past where you can feel the resistance)

Then either wiggle the head unit out or stick you hand up the back of the console and push it out.

we used 4 small jewelers screwdrivers (one in each hole) and then pulled it out using something on the stereo (fingers in the cassette hole, buttons etc. not the screwdrivers though)

like edde said, about 2 inches in ull feel the resistance.

Many thanks for the replies, sounds like I should be easier than my scooby, where I had too take the console facia off!
ill have too wait til the skewers are out off the turkey though :)

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I normally stick 4 wooden kebab scewers (sp) down the holes then just pull the stereo out.