ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removal of standard head unit for a ph2 172...with some bamboo skewers?

Have to remove the standard head unit and I am wondering if these skewers will do the job. Don't want to cause any damage or leaving half of the skewer inside.

IMG-3272.JPG

Very random lol

Yeah I know, I have watched a couple of videos on youtube and it seems like the HU comes off rather easily. Folks here are saying use some welding rods or hanger wires which seemed to suggest it would require some strength. Definitely don't want the skewer to break and stuck in the hole.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I used Allen keys a couple of times. You can just do one side at a time and then pull it out

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yeah I’ve used Allen keys in the past. The shape of the end doesn’t really matter tbh

Skewers might work. But I wouldn’t risk using anything that you could leave in there.

Fiesta ST-2
I used an old metal coat hanger years ago. Snapped it in half worked a treat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Land Rover
Best to get the correct tools which are available for about £2 on Ebay
They have a shaped end that grips the locating pins and makes it easy to pull the unit out.
If you start poking coat hangers and bits of wood in the side you are likely to make a mess of it and possibly damage the unit.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I've always just stuck a cutlery knife down each side, releases the catches then pull it out. There's probably hundreds of things you could use.