ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK3 Installing head unit. Power issues

MK3 Clio Dyn DCI
Hi, I'm new here and (don't actually own a Clio Sport Sorry!) but hoping someone on here can help me out.
I have a 2012 Clio Dynamique Tom Tom. It currently has the standard stereo/sat nav setup installed.

I want to replace the head unit with my own Sony unit. I'm aware that I'll lose the function of the built in sat nav but I don't use it anyway as it's so out of date and new maps are expensive!
The sound quality on the OEM unit is poor and the Bluetooth leaves a lot to be desired as it constantly conflicts with whichever phone I try to connect to it and causes the unit to somehow short out and re-boot itself.

I've disconnected the existing head unit and plugged in the new Sony one and there's power getting to the unit as I can hear the CD drive moving but it doesn't seem to be powering fully as the head unit doesn't actually switch on or illuminate.

I asked the 'we fit' guy at my local Halfords and he seems to think that modern cars won't power an aftermarket unit without an additional power feed wired from the fuse box.
This seems like a lot of hassle and effort, and I've installed new head units in every car I've ever had and they have usually been plug and play. This car is the newest I've had though, so the wiring may be different.

Ive seen on various forums that owners have changed their head units but have never posted of this problem..
Am I doing something wrong or is the guy from Halfords right?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Clio 182
Yeh mk3s need separate ignition feed - easiest way is piggy back fuse or tap of cig lighter if its ignition switched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk