ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing ABS

I find it too hard to modulate pressure just on the locking up point with my car..

Is there an easy way of turning off ABS, like unplugging something?

-Rob

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

it will definatly upset the brake balance on modern abs systems. Also one day just before you slam into a car backend you might wish the abs was still there.

Disabling ABS where there is no mechanical load compensator will leave you with 50:50 bais.

rather crap.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 19 May 2004

Disabling ABS where there is no mechanical load compensator will leave you with 50:50 bais.
rather crap.
When you say it goes 50:50 do you mean the dfront and rear brake pressure goes equal. If so will the rear brakes as they have a smaller piston diameter work less efficiently at slowing the car than the front so help maintain a more like 70:30 brake distribution?

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 19 May 2004
Any side effects?

only sliding into a bus queue and killing 9 people in october ;)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 19 May 2004

rather crap.
When you say it goes 50:50 do you mean the dfront and rear brake pressure goes equal. If so will the rear brakes as they have a smaller piston diameter work less efficiently at slowing the car than the front so help maintain a more like 70:30 brake distribution?
on a modern abs system brake distribution starts off at 50/50 front/rear. as you brake the abs adjusts the distribution automatically as it measures wheel speeds and prevents locking of the wheels. if the abs is disabled then the distribution will stay at 50/50 which could be dangerous in some situations.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 19 May 2004

rather crap.

If your talking simple brake fluid movement, the rear caliper cylinders are smaller and will move further than the fronts per mm pedal travel, so they will work before the fronts. not a good thing.

Lionel Richie

on the 1.2 16v the strangest thing happens when you remove the fuse, THE STEERING GETS LIGHTER!!!

Anyone have an explanation??

Yeah no thanks, i eat them round tracks!

Well on the basis of the replies i wont bother then! I think.

P.S Anyone know the the brake bias setting on a Cup..and then couldnt i just set it to that on mine?

-Rob

Nissan R35 GT-R

The front wheels are set to do around 80% of the braking. The rear brakes are really only there to balance the car under braking. This is why you wear out front pads so much faster, and also why many cars make do with drums at the back.

Anyone wishing to remove the ABS on their car because, "The ABS is w**k and I can stop the car much better without it using my cadence braking technique because I think Im a racing driver" is just plain stupid.

There is no way you can stop a car faster without the ABS.

NO WAY.

END OF STORY.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Yes you can and its been proven, but only in perfectly dry conditions.

ABS is there as a safety device and to make it safer when you stomp on the brake pedal in sheer panic.

Having done an advanced driving course in the 172 with and without ABS Ill not even remove the fuse for track days...

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

u might regret it when u need to turn & brake at the same time but the system weights a ton and can be binned for the sake of weight reduction etc.

Its not about being quicker for me Frosty. I care about the enjoyment factor..

I never turn and brake intentionally, only in an emergency.

Thanks for the input.

-Rob

Dont bother...not worth it unless you convert your whole system to a mech one and junk the ABS block.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 20 May 2004

on the 1.2 16v the strangest thing happens when you remove the fuse, THE STEERING GETS LIGHTER!!!

Anyone have an explanation??
the electic pas on the clio is variable (gives you less assistance the faster you go). if you disable abs which supplies vehicle speed information then the pas computer doesnt know how fast the vehicle is going so it will go into a set defect mode.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 20 May 2004

Its not about being quicker for me Frosty. I care about the enjoyment factor..

I never turn and brake intentionally, only in an emergency.

Thanks for the input.

-Rob
I see what youre saying, but the pedal is so sharp in the non-sport Clios that youll have a pretty hard time of adjusting the brake force. The Cup has a very progressive pedal, and the 1.2s seem like they are just equipped with an on/off switch for the brakes in comparison.

Have you had a go in the NSX yet? ;)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i see what your saying with that. on the intial press of the pedal my missus dynamique brakes seem a lot keener than my cups. if i really slam the pedal down my cup stops quicker but its that first point of pressing the pedal where you notice the difference in the intial grab of the brakes.