ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing carbon canister - how do you vent the fuel tank ???

As per title, I've read the guide by Graham 172, if you block the vent pipe from the tank, how is the tank now vented ? As from what I understand the filler cap is non vented.

Trafic 140dci
i've now noticed that since blocking mine off when i take the filler cap off you can feel its pressurised... could this lead to problems, is there a solution to this??

I was thinking is there a roll over/1 way valve in the system ? Also possible fuel pump problems if it's not vented enough.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Or a place for a oil cooler if you choose to run one, well that's my plan

This is what i have done! re-located the filter aswell so its easier to get to/less messy :)

As for venting and a build up of pressure, My fuel caps off all the time because i need to fill up that much so it never gets the chance to build up lol.

clio 172
Iv blanked of all the pipes im ment to but since doing it i seem to be getting strange readings from the fuel gauge seems to go down really fast when driving and then il stop and come back to the car the next day and weirdly its back up ,if i open the fuel cap it does feel rather pressurised. Is this ok ??

That sounds like the tank is getting pressurised - so not right at all

I chopped the pipe that went from tank to carbon canister under the car and pushed a bolt in the end with a jubilee clip - so blocked off

From what I was told the tank can still vent up to the filler cap as there's a small drain hole at the bottom of the filler cap that goes to the tank

Maybe that hole/tube is blocked on yours so there's no where for it to pressurise?

You don't really want that pipe under the car just left open as if you roll the car in an accident petrol will just poor out of it

clio 172
That sounds like the tank is getting pressurised - so not right at all

I chopped the pipe that went from tank to carbon canister under the car and pushed a bolt in the end with a jubilee clip - so blocked off

From what I was told the tank can still vent up to the filler cap as there's a small drain hole at the bottom of the filler cap that goes to the tank

Maybe that hole/tube is blocked on yours so there's no where for it to pressurise?

You don't really want that pipe under the car just left open as if you roll the car in an accident petrol will just poor out of it

Sounds silly but where abouts is the vent that is near to the filler neck?? Is there any way of checking to serif its blocked

If you open the outer flap (ooh err) there is a hole in the bottom under the actual fuel cap.

I believe it's designed so fuel spillage can get into the tank but also allows the tank to breath too

No idea how to check if it's blocked really without trying to blow air down it or something?

182, 6r GTi
If you open the outer flap (ooh err) there is a hole in the bottom under the actual fuel cap.

I believe it's designed so fuel spillage can get into the tank but also allows the tank to breath too

No idea how to check if it's blocked really without trying to blow air down it or something?

i may be wrong but i think thats for water drainage, otherwise the fuel would get contaminated far to easily ?