ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing gearknob 2020 technique??

Currently fitting the yanoo stiff shift but obviously my gear stick has the one piece shell thing rather than two so gearknob has to come off. Threads years ago say hack it off, new thread says twist and hammer so what should I do? I couldnt give it a proper hammer because its way too late or am I wasting my time

Im going to clamp it and sledge hammer the knob off and make sure its attached with some string to me so when/if it flies off It'l wont go into the neighbors garden

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Stanley knife the black cover off, hacksaw down one side continuing the cut across the top, whack a slotted screwdriver into the cut and it will come off easy. Generous dust sheeting to save the mess

Well got it off. Twisting it destroyed the leather but it peeled off and the insides was still intact so I peeled back the rubber and twisted the plastic which got it off. Its the leather that screws things, I could of cut the stitching off the leather and taken it off intact

IMG_5833.JPG

Twist and a good pull should get it off
Im convinced it can come off intact tbf so am going to buy another gearstick 😁 I was thinking of using some acetone to soften the glue, as its a knurled shaft it should being able to penetrate the glue. Then just protect and twist carefully. Worth a try? Ill just hang it upside down and let it soak for a while.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Acetone might melt the plastic. What about drilling the plastic on an angle with a small drill bit from underneath to relieve it. Drop of epoxy resin when refitting.