ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Rounded Screw?

Nimbus 197
Had a bit of a beast trying to remove some screws from the seat rails today...ended up stripping a couple of them! Anyone have any ideas on how to remove them?

example of screw (T40 iirc.) and positioning...

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

?
Drill through them? alternatively there are dril bit attachments you can buy which drill into the screw a bit then undo them, cant remmeber the name of them though...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Did you use the correct size torq piece or were you stupid?

Hammer in a size 40.

Revels Mum & Sister
As above or get your mits on an impact driver depending how badly rounded they are.

Bear in mind once they are out you need new uns!

Nimbus 197
Thanks for the replies folks. One of them is rounded pretty badly.

@gally, I used the correct size but I'm stupid :eek:

E36 M3. 182
ahmed, youre thinking of an easy-out. you drill a hole down the centre of the bolt/screw, then run a left hand threaded tapered screw (an easy out) into the drilled hole untill the sides bite in the hole. then turn it anti clockwise using a spanner to undo the bolt. Its alright if youve rounded something off by being a biff, but if its rounded due to being mega tight, chances are youll just shear the easy out.

Last edited:
  106 GTI
Pretty much, but before you do that keep applying some penetrant spray a day or two before.

Then when your about to use the easyout heat up the bolt and surrounding area so that it expands hopefully dislodging some of the crap on the thread

Have got the exact same problem with a seized engine cover bolt, have been trying to get it out this evening with a grabit screw/bolt remover set like below but it ain't budging so any ideas are appriciated too
B00096JDL2.01-ADFI59O5XI21B.jpg

Nimbus 197
Right I don't have access to a drill at the moment so I'm gonna hammer in a slightly larger bit and go from there. Will report back with the results tomorrow!

Thanks for the responses too!

Honda Integra Type R
Right I don't have access to a drill at the moment so I'm gonna hammer in a slightly larger bit and go from there. Will report back with the results tomorrow!

Thanks for the responses too!

If its tight ur better not doing that ull make it worse.

Get a Centre punch and make a mark on the top of the boltthen get a punch and hit it anti clockwise to loosen it. then hammer in ur oversized torx bit

i managed to remove mine, after failing with the screw remover, tried the superglue/allen key trick, which by the way does not work lol (think its just small scrrews it works on), so used some wd40 left it to work its way in then i hammered a tough flat head screwdriver into the bolt, pretty hard (was getting pished at this point), which after a few attemps did the trick, it made a nice slice in the head and allowed me to screw it out, job done

Mainly a tow truck
Think all the angles have been covered, once you get it out you will have a great glow as you beat the bugger, seem to have done the same to a few bolts on Renault seat frames, are they thread locked?

Carl

If an easy out doesn't work then try drilling the head off. Then remove the seat rails and use a set of molegrips to remove the shank and thread portion.

white cliosport 182
if all fails get a dremel cut a slice across the top of the head and use a flat headed screw driver or flat headed screw driver socket bit, id give it a few whacks first tho for good measure

Nimbus 197
YES!!! I was just about to give up then thought I'd give it one last try. Got the seat out eventually! Hammered in a larger bit then got the socket wrench out. :cool:

VaVa
One of lifes little pleasures is removing a really stubborn nut/bolt. The more of a b*****d it's been, the better it feels lol

The thread is exposed to water from the road and the likes

might have been able to wind them out from underneath if there was enough thread available (one of the first alternative methods to check). impossible had they been in a box section, obviously

Nimbus 197
might have been able to wind them out from underneath if there was enough thread available (one of the first alternative methods to check). impossible had they been in a box section, obviously

How do you do that?

if there's enough thread exposed and enough room around it, wire brush the corrosion off, spray with WD/etc, lock a couple of nuts onto the thread, and start the bolt by winding it up into the car (can usually finish them off from the cabin once they've started)

it's entirely dependant upon the car (i.e. not always possible), but it's the easiest way to get them out usually, and the only way without butchering the bolt