ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing standard ECU completely on ITB'd track car

TrackCar & F30 330d
Now my car is only ever going to be driven on track I want to make some electrical changes.

I currently have ITB's and have an OMEX 600 ecu.

I want my car to just have the wiring/electrics just to get the engine running, have brake lights, indicators, work the rad fan and work the wiper motor.

Now I see most race cars have a little board with switches on to turn things either on or off so that is what I'm planning/thinking of.

So has anybody on here actually completely removed the standard ecu's and looms?

172 Race Car
Its easy if you know what your doing but far too difficult to explain on a forum. Best off starting the interiro loom from scratch. Our project thread may help a little

TrackCar & F30 330d
Drop me a pm with your number. Ill talk via phone easer :)

I will PM you now :)

Its easy if you know what your doing but far too difficult to explain on a forum. Best off starting the interiro loom from scratch. Our project thread may help a little

I have read through your project thread very carefully. It was helpfull so thanks for doing it :)

This is just a thought atm but i think it could work.

So everything will be wired up properly with relays and fuses to switches.

This is how i would start the engine.

1. Flick a switch to prime and run the fuel pump
2. Press a button to power the starter motor and therfore turn the engine over
3. This is the one i am a little unsure of! Does the final turn of the key send some power or signal to the Omex ECU to power the Crank sensor which finds the Top Dead Center and starts the combustion process off?

With the Omex having power is it just the flywheel moving at 200rpm which is then picked up by the crank sensor and does it then just start the "starting process" off?

172 Race Car
???

Im a little confused by that. Crank sensor isnt powered.

The way we have done it is to have everything 'live' off the battery master switch. so all additional electrics (lights, guages etc) work when battery is on. Then we have a switch for ignition live to ecu. When this is turned on the ecu primes the fuel pump and waits to see engine speed. We have a starter push button to supply power to the solenoid to crank the engine. It would go with a push start at this point as all it needs is the engine to turn.

On ours it will crank when ever the master switch is on but wont start if the ecu isnt on.

HTH

TrackCar & F30 330d
???

Im a little confused by that. Crank sensor isnt powered.

The way we have done it is to have everything 'live' off the battery master switch. so all additional electrics (lights, guages etc) work when battery is on. Then we have a switch for ignition live to ecu. When this is turned on the ecu primes the fuel pump and waits to see engine speed. We have a starter push button to supply power to the solenoid to crank the engine. It would go with a push start at this point as all it needs is the engine to turn.

On ours it will crank when ever the master switch is on but wont start if the ecu isnt on.

HTH

With the wiper motor for example do you have a wire going from the + battery, to a small fusebox with an appropiate fuse then a wire going to the on/off switch, then to the actual wiper motor and then another wire goes to an earth?

Is that the correct way to wire up that type of part?

I have these for the switches

d59eac82.jpg

172 Race Car
Yes, but remember the wiper has two speeds (if you want it to have) ours is wired to have 2 speeds but doesnt self park. Was the simplest way

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
i removed the stock ecu and loom from my engine bay, going custom dash so i can still have readouts tho as i dont like having to look at lots of different guages to see whats going on

TrackCar & F30 330d
i removed the stock ecu and loom from my engine bay, going custom dash so i can still have readouts tho as i dont like having to look at lots of different guages to see whats going on

How do you turn your engine over now you removed the standard ecu? Still use the key or do you have a button.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
i ran in a starting/charging loom, the ecu doesnt control starting so im still using the key. if you take the loom out, lable what you want to keep then cut out the rest youll find that the ecu doesnt do much anymore. i only lost my temp gauge other than that the rest of my dash didnt work

TrackCar & F30 330d
Another question fir you lot.

If the fuel pump is running and I start to turn the engine over then as long as the ecu (omex 600) is connected to power will the engine start?