ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Tar from Roof

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Hi folks, I've started removing all the sound deadening heavy tar cr@p from my Ph1 track car (done the front footwells and boot area so far).

As my car is fully stripped with no headlining :cool: I am now wondering how you go about taking the huge load of tar off the roof - the thick bit almost in a 'sunroof' position...

Obviously the stuff comes off champion with a load of heat, but I didn't want to use the heatgun on the roof as, although my car is hardly 'concours' :eek:, I don't want to blister the paint on the outside of the front of the roof.

I'm hoping people won't say 'just leave it' as I've tried chipping away at one corner - without success and now it looks naff! :dapprove:

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Baggers.

White Sti Hatch
Id go with the heat gun but just dont blast the roof for 20 mines....could always try heating the scrapper up first ?

LY 200
you can remove it by freezing it too, so maybe wait till its a properly winter day and have a go then?

Keep the torch moving, just warm the tar up a bit, Heat the scraper as well as said.

Think it would come off eventually. Would have to be high heat to blister the paint surely?

White Sti Hatch
Keep the torch moving, just warm the tar up a bit, Heat the scraper as well as said.

Think it would come off eventually. Would have to be high heat to blister the paint surely?

Stay in one spot for long enough it would blister but then we are talking about french paint here

PH1 172
Search the project thread and I am sure you will come across someone who has done it and can tell you how :)

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Thanks guys... :eek:

could always try heating the scrapper up first ?

I have since thought of that and will give it a go... Cheers matey.

you can remove it by freezing it too

I didn't know that. Anyone got any liquid nitrogen spare? ;)

Would have to be high heat to blister the paint surely?

That's what I thought - if not blister, then surely de-colour and make it look all matt?

Stay in one spot for long enough it would blister

That's my worry! :dapprove:

we had to leave ours its a right b*****d.

:(

Search the project thread

Did do, but will again...

Cheers, Baggers.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Thats the next bit i've gotta do too, i've removed it from every where else, boot floor, foot wells, rear quater pannels ( right b*****d to do :dapprove: ) & the bits by the air con unit along with the 3kg weight on the engine, mine will be like a paper plane if it gets air lol

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Oh yeah! I forgot about those bits... Same problem there (not wanting to make the rear wings faded / blister)

Just go easy on it mate, did have by brother standing outside checking it though just in case lol