ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing the 172 cat

Morning,

I have got myself a decat system and want to get ready to fit it, the only problem is I cannot seem to get the cat off the manifold! the bolts and nuts are in a fairly good condition, the problem is if I am loosing the nut the bolt spins and I cant stop is as i cannot reach it!

also while the car is up its quite difficult to reach into the engine bay to hold it or get someone to hold it.

so I am wondering, how do you guys do it and what tools do you use?

Renault Clio 172 cup
Just taken the cat off my car about an hour ago weirdly enough. Two person job , one with hand down back of engine with 10mm on the bolt ( socket ideally as its slightly recessed but a swan neck spanner might do it ) , and one underneath the car with a 10mm socket and extension bar. Thread is quite fine so takes a lot of turns but pops off eventually.
Not that difficult just a bit tight to access.

Just taken the cat off my car about an hour ago weirdly enough. Two person job , one with hand down back of engine with 10mm on the bolt ( socket ideally as its slightly recessed but a swan neck spanner might do it ) , and one underneath the car with a 10mm socket and extension bar. Thread is quite fine so takes a lot of turns but pops off eventually.
Not that difficult just a bit tight to access.

That's what I thought it would be a case of, I didn't know if maybe you could take the heat shield off and reach the bolt from underneath, how hard was it to hey back on? (if you did that)
I have two 10mm sockets luckily! So might get the wife to hold it for me lol

172 cup, Impreza P1
Can all be done from underneath with only one person.

I use a 1/4" ratchet with flexi joint and 4" extension on the cat side and hold the other side with a 10mm ring spanner. You will need to reach over the manifold. Tbh, not the easiest job but is doable.

Can all be done from underneath with only one person.

I use a 1/4" ratchet with flexi joint and 4" extension on the cat side and hold the other side with a 10mm ring spanner. You will need to reach over the manifold. Tbh, not the easiest job but is doable.

I tried that but my hands are too big to get to the other side from underneith, plus I cut my hands to death on the heatshields trying haha, the wife is going to give us a hand on thursday, after I have finished helping her decorate the bedroom :hail:

172 cup, Impreza P1
I tried that but my hands are too big to get to the other side from underneith, plus I cut my hands to death on the heatshields trying haha, the wife is going to give us a hand on thursday, after I have finished helping her decorate the bedroom :hail:

My hands are like shovels. It's about technique more than size. That's what the wife tells me anyway.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
This reminds me of when I tried to do this by myself. Was a pig of a job and took me absolutely ages. I ended up loosing one of the bolts, it fell away and never found it, spent ages searching for it too. Its definitely a two person job if you want an easy time.

172 Turbo
I've just finished this. The easy way to get them on is probably the second best way to get them off, I used a garage in the end to get it off.

I clamped the new nuts on the bolt with a set of molegrips and then locked them in place with another set of grips on the ARB. I then used a 1/4" 10mm socket down the back of the engine, I found it easiest to do this whilst squatting on the engine

Did this yesterday, wife holding the breaker bar attached to a 10mm socket on the bolt while I undid the nut from underneath, 100% a 2 person job, took us just 10 mins once ready to go!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Did this yesterday, wife holding the breaker bar attached to a 10mm socket on the bolt while I undid the nut from underneath, 100% a 2 person job, took us just 10 mins once ready to go!

Lol at 100% 2 person job. It's not! :rasp:

330i. E30 Touring.
It is, unless you have an impact gun.

No way I know that you can do it from underneath easily enough.

172 cup, Impreza P1
It is, unless you have an impact gun.

No way I know that you can do it from underneath easily enough.

You can and I have quite a few times as I've said. Impact gun went no where near it.

The hard part is trying to refit it rather than remove it but still doable.

330i. E30 Touring.
Laying under the subframe?

One arm up engine side to stop it spinning? The other arm up engine side undoing?

Either way, the 182 revision shows how much of a c**t it is. Lol

172 cup, Impreza P1
Laying under the subframe?

One arm up engine side to stop it spinning? The other arm up engine side undoing?

Either way, the 182 revision shows how much of a c**t it is. Lol

Yeah, on my back on the drive with the car on axle stands. I hand holding the bolts head with a ring spanner and the other using the 1/4" ratchet, extension and flexi joint. Footery but doable.

Spot on though, 182 setup is 100X easiers for sure.