ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Cardiff are trying to shaft me !!

172 Sport
Alright guys I have 1 massive problem and I really could use some advice.

Ill set the scene
I’m driving along in my 53 plate 172 which is under warranty until December and I press the accelerator and then my car just dies , I’m thinking oh s**t , what’s going on .
I have had the car a year in a few days. And this happens, I roll over to the edge to the pavement and start to wonder. The car wouldn’t stat so I called Renault assistance.
This guy turn up and fair play , he knew what he was doing, go out his laptop checks the car, says everything is fine, I’m like try and start it so then he seems to think I’ve run out of petrol , I insisted that my car was full of petrol but I went with the flow and bought some more.
What do you know the car didn’t start, he pops the bonnet and has a look around he then checks 30 amp fuses which had blown, he replaced in then bobs your uncle the car started and off I went home.
I then decided to go back out as you do but I thought I’m not taking any chances and put a box of fuses in my car, left the house and got round the corner and the same thing happened again. This time I had a nice little orange light (Toxic fume light) so I went home.

1st thing the next day (Thursday) I phoned Renault Cardiff to as instructed by the manual, they said the earliest they good fit me in was Monday 15th. I leave work then and get ½ way home and my car stops, although this time my car was on fire, the main wiring loom had overheated and burnt out.
I phoned AA again and has the same guy again, top bloke, he then towed me to Cardiff Renault at and I got there just b4 6pm when they were due to close, they were no help what so ever!! ,my car would not lock and they simply told me that it will more than likely get looked at on Monday when it was due to be booked in , at this point I was super pissed !! I went and picked my ford fiesta courtesy car and when back to try and lock my car. I eventually managed to lock it and went home.

Thursday afternoon , I receive a call from Mickey mouse disguised as a Renault Technician informing me that my wiring loom had burnt out and due to my sub an my amp and that my £9000 car was not covered under Warranty. I then went nuts with Mr. Mouse and explained that there was no way on this earth that my ICE had caused the problem , I explained that is had been in the car nearly a year and that the only things that work are the clock and the ICE, he then said that he would have it look et at by a Renault Electrician . I received no call back that day.
1st thing Friday morning I and my dad went to Renault to see what’s going on, we were fobbed off then after a bit of fuzz and a 30 min wait we spoke to a manager. Well he had an office anyway.
We explained everything that had happened and asked if he would take 2 minutes out of his time to look at my Dead 172.
We got to the car and he had a look around, he had already told me that he was an advanced electrician, he then pointed out that my car had a non standard alarm that had been fitted poorly and caused the car to catch on fire, he looked in the car and set the red alarm light next to the gear leaver was not fitted by Renault and he had not seen this before, he also pointed out a yellow and red wire that were added into the loom and came off the alarm cables and because they has been poorly fitted warranty void. At this point I was gutted he had told me that the cost to fix my car would be £966.77 and that it was not under warranty due to a alarm fitted by some 1 else.
I then got home and decided to check my documents, I then notice that I have an alarm book and an alarm certificate. The alarm was fitted by Cat UK (Renault Import Centre) which I found out after calling Bristol Renault who I received more information in 5 minutes than I did with Cardiff.
I have contacted Renault customer services and they are currently dealing with Cardiff, as it stands at this moment in time my insurance will not cover it and Renault say they won’t do the work under warranty .
I now also know after reading many threads that the red alarm light is part of the cobra alarm and is fitted and the Renault import centre along with the alarm

I was just wondering what you guys think as it will all kick off again tomorrow when everything is open .

Thanks for your time and suggestions?

looking for 172 cup
when i had problems getting warranty work done called renault uk and work was done straight away ...
hope you get it sorted mate ..

RS 200
Yeah, get intouch with Renault UK. Sounds like he's trying to billy bullshit you, even I know the alarms are fitted when entering the country and thats where the red light comes from, and I dont even have a Sport model.

So as I see it, the alarms fitted by Renault when it comes into the country therefore surely its their problem as its a part they fitted that has failed.

Maybe i'm wrong.

Chris

172 Sport
The stupid thing is i have a Renault certificate that says i have a

Renault Compact 7895 TC 2 1174/0101

This was fitted by cat uk (Renault uk)

i also have the Renault 7895 -7897 hand book

i will check out the other Forum

thanks

i will be taking all of my proof to Cardiff tomorrow to wipe the smile off micky mouses face

ff 182
Hi mate go to james and jenkins in Llandaff they are alot better than Renault Cardiff trust me.They will sort you out.

Pete

172 Sport
i have contacted Renault Customer services who are being helpful,they are in contact with cardiff.

my only problem about going elsewhere is that the car doesn't move and that it needs a complete wiring loom and that no many garages would want to take the work on.

Last edited:
is your car black mate - if so saw it today - still sitting in the car park - they aint much good down there - some times great service other times crap! Have they come back to you yet to tell you whats happening?

172 Sport
No, mines silver, just like yours mate .

the past 2 days have been crazy. contacted Renault c/s and Cardiff and the storeys and lack of communication between the two is unbelievable .

called in to Renault yesterday , they took a photo copy of my Alarm cert and Book.
c/s have now got in contact with Cat Uk to validate the alarm install ( they wouldn't let me phone them) now need to wait for a call back tomorrow.

Renault Cardiff are making all sort of different storeys up now saying the alarm is only covered for 1 year. my mum gave the service manager a nice grilling today :)

I’m still waiting for him to phone me back !!

Wiring loom on back order and could take up to 3 weeks ,

no car and no courtesy car

Life is Good :)

if you are on about the bald service manager he is the biggest c**k i have ever met - talks absolute rubbish and does not listen to a word you say!

I take it yours was the one with the Oz Titans - there was another there as well with yellow calipers but i think that was a 52 plate?

you must be really pissed mate

good luck tomorrow

Tim

172 Sport
Thats the one : yeah mines the 1 with Oz Titans just sat there, yeah that 52 plate 1 has been there longer than mine and mine has been there a week now and not moved at all.

the service is s**t, i'm not even going to have my 2nd service there, i think ill go elsewhere for what its worth

cheers

Nathan

they are really expensive for servicing - do what I did and make a day of it - I went down to portsmouth - one of the lads on here used to work for renault but has now opened his own workshops - called Rentech - he knows his s**t - plus he will sort any other little problems you have and you can stay and watch as well - all good in my opinion plus its a load cheaper - I used a tank of petrol and it was still cheaper than going to cardiff renault! plus Mike actually looks after your car!

ive had good serice off them some days and shite on others - depends who you deal with half the time. I try and stay away as much as possible but my car is a bit distinctive now so they always remember me which helps a bit I think - but as a rule I never speak to the service manager any more - I will end up punching him otherwise!

172 Sport
Yeah i can understand, the Service manager is a joke !!

how much does a service cost with Mike from Rentech then?

Nathan

Turbos.
So is yours a Dutch import then? Mine has a an alarm which says 'Sigma' on the fob. Don't suppose this is what you have? Hope i don't end up with the same prob!

no i believe it is a british version - its just that when the cars come to the uk renault fit the alarms at the docks. they do not come with alarms abroad

Mondeo STTDCI
See...if you had ripped out the sub and amp then it would've been a lot easier.

Electrical problems - take out the ICE as Renault use it as an EXCUSE!

172 Sport
Yeah thats a bloody good point , once i showed The so called service manager the ice install, he said it wasn't that.

he then started on the (Renault) Alarm System.

still no news from Renault C/S. :dapprove:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
cliobuyer said:
So is yours a Dutch import then? Mine has a an alarm which says 'Sigma' on the fob. Don't suppose this is what you have? Hope i don't end up with the same prob!

Sigma, one of the best you can get chap, better than standard crap................

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Good luck.

Defo deal with Reno UK - firm but polit and start a log of ALL phonecalls, visits etc. and get ALL names so you've got a detialed dated timeline.

I had sh*t service from Camden in Aylesbury and when it was eventually sorted I sent a nice letter to Reno UK saying that if I were invoicing for the time I'd spent above and beyond dropping off and picking up they'd be looking at a bill for £300.

A week later I got an apology and £150 in vouchers which meant £8 for my 18K service!

172 Sport
Thanks , yeah everything is being logged already.

when the whole mess is sorted i will be writing to Renault UK.

cheers