ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Sport Sabelt Steering Wheel and MOT

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
I normally have a "Friendly" MOT tester but I wanted the strictest one i could have to highlight any problems so I could keep on top of things.
It never crossed my mind when I put the steering wheel on but I rocked up At Kwik Fit and before he even opened the door he said "I'm going to fail that"

I was confused until he said the airbag is missing. I put my point across to them that the light comes on and goes off as it should so I couldn't see a problem.

Some of them said the guidelines state "if it was originally there it should be" so I said "prove it should of been there". Lame reply I know.

Anyway although I'm sure they were correct saying it should fail it passed with the advisory of "airbag removed but all working as it should", it don't make sense really but at least it passed.

How's everyone else done with theirs?

Volvo S40
I always thought the rules were that the airbag can be removed and you just get an advisory but if the warning light is on it's a failure. My MOT is due in May/June so will soon find out!

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
I 100% agree with the Kwik Fit bit but that's why I took it there, I wanted to get as much feedback as possible, I wasn't expecting the complications with the steering wheel though.

I was told the rules had changed and unless it was rally prepared, so seats and steering wheel were changed and a roll cage was fitted removing an airbag was an automatic fail (although they passed it).

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
My mate who is an MOT tester has told me that you can not test something if its not there.

I took my Monaco in last week for an MOT and called him to say that the headlight washers where not working, He gave me three options, As the headlight washer jets are there they must be tested.

1, Put non xenon headlights in car.
2, Fit washer blanks & keep xenons in car.
3, Change washer pump.

I asked about fitting blanks & once again he stated that if there is no jets there to be tested then how can he advise or fail them ?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My car has been at 3 different testers and theyve never mentioned my headlight washers not working. I dont even know how to operate them!

@MarcR™ so I can take all my seat belts out and it'll still pass by that theory??

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
My car has been at 3 different testers and theyve never mentioned my headlight washers not working. I dont even know how to operate them!

@MarcR™ so I can take all my seat belts out and it'll still pass by that theory??

In 1983, front seat belt wearing regulations for drivers and passengers (both adult and children) came into force. In 1989, wearing rear seat belts became compulsory for children under 14. In 1991, when it became compulsory for adults to wear seat belts in the back of a car, there was an immediate increase from 10 per cent to 40 per cent in observed rear seat belt wearing.

In theory I'm guessing yes but i would imagine that there will be a few rules are regulations for seat belts like above.
You take a 1960/70s car in for an MOT with no seat belts it will pass as it was not fitted with them