ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault UK and Sighthill Edinburgh

R26
Haven't posted for a while but fully need to get this off my chest and see
what my RSport Compadres have to say on the matter. I appologise for the long read.......

Took my car in to Renault Sighthill for its 24000 mile service yesterday morning. However, before booking it in I had gone through what would be done and how much it would cost with the service man on the phone.... No problem, the breakdown went like this:

Service (inc labour & parts) £245.60
Brake Fluid Change £ 39.99
Air Conditioning Service £ 29.99
Engine Flush £ 19.95

Total: £334.93

Ok fine, I said to the man, however is it ok if I remove some of the extras before we actually have the esrvice done.. If I change my mind ? Yes that's no problem, just stipulate this when you bring the car in. Great see you Monday I said.

So car is dropped off on Monday, girlfriend requests that the Air Conditioning Service is removed from the jobs to be done. OK no problem.

1/2 pm my work phone goes. It's Renault (Reg Vardy) Hi Miss bla bla bla, no it's her partner Mr Escobar (hehe). We are calling to let you know that the cars brackets/mountings have perished so it will cost you roughly £93 to have this fixed. I asked is this not a warranty claim to which the lady replied no exhausts are not covered by warranty, I replied that the mountings are not part of the exhaust but instead that it's part of the build of the car and that it is no suprise that they have only lasted 12 months. To which she dissapeared off only to come back with a new story of how they are covered only for 6 months. (Distinctly giving me the impression that porkies were being told - 1 minute its not warranty the next its warranty but only for 6 months). So I told them not to do the work and that I would speak to Renault UK.

So phone Renault UK, they gave me a REF number and asked me to get Renault Sighthill to call them.

So go in to get the car with my partner. Explain to the woman behind the desk whats been going on. They hadent phoned Renault UK though so she obliged (although quite grudgingly) to phone Renault UK. So eventually she got through. I heard the woman explaining infront of me that she was the warranty manager and had been for 8+ odd years and that in her opinion the parts had perished - wear & tear no warranty. Anyway the person ant Renault UK must have asked about the cost of the parts to which she replied "I cant say because our parts dept is now shut (5:30 ish)" However, right in front of her and me was the price for parts and labour for the problem she was talking about. I couldn't believe it!!!! she was blatently lying. So no, I have final say and you are not getting it on warranty! So I argue some more about the poor build qualtiy of these cars, she says to me that it doesn't look on her file that I have had many problems!!!!!. lol, I say to her well I have already had the dash lifted, greased and re-set, she says " no youve only had the top of the dash lifted and greased!" BIG DIFFERENCE. Anyway she conveniently doesn't have alist of other work carried out - Passenger seat looked at, front left passanger window frame looked at and reattached - cos it was actually hagning off. The list goes on and on.

So anyway, she gets on with telling me how much the service was going to cost. Unbelievably they had done the Air Conditioning Service against our wishes. I point this out to her, she goes to speak to a superior employee and come back and says that they will pick up this cost after checking with the person we had notified about not doing it. She must of been mad!! she just couldn't be bothered with a difficult customer - although they made me difficult! Anyway they removed this from the bill but guess what?????

THE BILL STILL DOESN'T MATCH THE 5 DAY OLD QUOTE..................

AM I SUPRISED?????? YEAS SHOULD I BE.........NO COS THIS IS THE 3RD TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED.

However, before I leave, the woman who tells me that she knows all about the cars decides to give us a breakdown on the 'new' cost, going through the list she then proceed to tell us points that they had noted, the usual tyre mm left on tyres, breaks etc. This woman of wisdom then asks, we noticed there was no spare wheel !!!!!!!!!!!!!! But you know all about the cars - THEY DONT COME WITH ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH so how much does she know about the exhaust brackets perishing???????????

Anyway, no point arguing with this woman anymore so I leave my partner to pay the bill (I bought the car for her) and go out to phone back Renault UK - They tell me that they cant and wont help me on this occassion as the warranty managers say is final. So I told them I will be taking the car to an independent dealer to have it assessed - they say that that it is fine they will deal with an independent dealer for warranty work. Anyway I told Renault UK that I expected this and as such after buying over 5 Renaults in 10 years - I wont buy another NO WAY their service and attitude is APPALING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what does everyone think of this, has anyone else had to deal with this what I can only describe as Crap. Let me guess......YES more than likely.

But what is everyones opinion on:

Exhaust Brackets disintegrating in 1 year, 24900 motorway miles - is this not a build issue?

The fact that the quoted prices all in are fine but it always costs more when you pick up the car - it's never less!!!!

My only advise to anyone using this particular garage is: when booking your car in - get a written quote of the price so that there can be no ambiguity when it comes to paying up.

It might just be unlucky that it has happened to me 3 times in a row!!!!!

Must say Im looking forward to getting some warranty work done from this woman that says that I havent had much go wrong with the car.....

1 x new plastic side strip which has gone all mottled in colour.
1 x drivers window fixed as it creaks badly
1 x stereo swallows the cd's at least once a week
1 x right front suspension creaks badly when over the slightest bump at slow speed.
1 x passeneger seat still occassionaly refuses to lock in position.
1 x ELECTRICS spontaneosuly light up like a christmas tree randomly weeks apart.

I have had enough - I can't do it anymore - great little car but people like the warranty manager and the dissapointing build quality of the car have seriously let it down. To think that I actually put business Renaults way (yes I got rewarded for it £50) but think of the people I told all the good stories to cursing my name when faced with a service like this!

Admitidley the work when carried out by the actual service department is top quality, it just their front of house (know it all) staff who dont even know if a car comes with a spare tyre or not.

RANT OVER - Let me know your opinions please. Is this or not warranty work after 1 year 24900 miles?????

Thx in advance

One with a few more
Mottled side strip - could that not be due to getting car polish on it?

I appreciate that this is naff for you. I also have bad experience with both dealerships and renault uk - they have both lies to me and called me a liar.

Go independent - Its just not worth it otherwise

If I have to speak to the monkeys at Renault Sighthill again before I die it will be too soon.

Muppets, start to finish, my experiences no where near as bad as yours, but ARRRRGHHGGHGGHG. We all know that "build quality" and "Renault" don't normally go in the same sentence (sometimes though, but with "poor" thrown in at some point) but their APPALLING customer service just makes it all sooooo much worse.

BMW M3
Sorry to hear that mate... So its not just me that gets rattled by Renualt, sighthill. They are complete monkeys that havent got a clue about there own cars!!! I have been endless times and expect to be treated like an idiot.

When the car was 3 weeks old, i went in to get the seat bracket replaced as it rattled... i told them that i was the seat bracket and they said "FINE", your booked in for next week. Next week comes... i go in a they dont have the part as they have blatently forgoten. And then tell me the lie that they must check the car first... so 2 weeks later i get it fixed at last.

Then when i booked my car in for a service, they asked for my reg and then said "Right, so thats a 172" Errr... no, its a 182. "no, its a 172"...... I think i know my own car.... its a 182!!! Its a 172 cause thats whats coming up on the computer. F*ck the computer!!!! ITS A 182!!!! Jesus!!!... Idiots!!
And there have been many other similar occasions.... Not good enough.

I know reaullt dealerships are not good at the best of times.. but sighthill really take the biscuit!!! Thats Reg Vardy for you..lol

P.S... Cheers Mike for getting a quote; it is just the door but someone has been so kind as to put a dent on the back panel now... My luck just never ends!! LOL

Justin, work mate is off work today, she is back in tomorrow. I'll try and get a quote for you by EOD tomorrow. Try KDF too, drop him a PM with your predicament.

Sighthill? Try Reg Vardy in Livingston for "customer service..."

Black/Gold 182
Yep, sadly Driveline (Canterbury Kent) are just as bad - and made worse by some minging receptionist who sits there rolling her eyes as you complain! So far mine's been back for:

1. Interior trim replacement. Took two goes, and still looks cr*p
2. Rattling dash. Again took two goes and when they finally put it back a screw is missing (which they won't post to me as me fitting it would "invalidate the warranty"!)
3. Paint damage by bird sh*t whilst car was in THEIR YARD
4. clonking noise. they took a week to strip the car down and then said it was normal. Scary.
5. alarm problems. they basically said they didn't know, I had an answer on here with an hour

Do you think other dealers can do the servicing? My experience with Honda for the wife's Civic has been much more positive.

Civic Type-R
renault and their employees are a special breed, im getting a civic type-r early next year was tempted with 182 but I feel it is a waste of time and money.

BMW M3
badinvincible said:
Justin, work mate is off work today, she is back in tomorrow. I'll try and get a quote for you by EOD tomorrow. Try KDF too, drop him a PM with your predicament.

Sighthill? Try Reg Vardy in Livingston for "customer service..."

Ok Mike...thanks for that. Yeah.. in future i think i will go there. I have once been in to Parks in dunfermline as i was around the area and though i would have a look. There customer service was way better then in edin but the dealership looked slightly worse for ware... as was avoiding puddles on the floor as the roof was leaking lol. Are livingston quite good then... worth the drive?

BMW M3
badinvincible said:
I was joking about the Livingston one!

I believe the parts manager told EvilJohn or Djw Dave to "f**k off."

Lol, just read your previous post and it was obviously sarcastic... oops... I've had a long day!! LOL

well, thats the lots. Nowhere else to go.. Bugger!!

VaVa
RE exhaust issue - My local dealer just replaced my centre section on my exhaust. They most certainly wouldn't have done this if it wasn't covered by warranty.

RE windo creaking - mine does this - it's been in twice and all they say is "No problem found, window mech lubricated" and it's back within a day. Any idea what they did to yours to fix it?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
badinvincible said:
I was joking about the Livingston one!

I believe the parts manager told EvilJohn or Djw Dave to "f**k off."

yep he did, and he couldnt even order the right parts. Never been back and highly reccomend no one else does. Have to use Edinburgh now. The guy in parts left cos of Bobby in Livi. The parts dept are sound, always good for a little discount. The service dept I cant comment much on but have had my keys recoded by them. Was done fine but yeah the desk staff are at it. The older woman was trying to teach me things about my car that I already had said I knew and was saying that my car will be impossible to sell cos I refuse to get a service from them!!
But hey ho, where else is there to go for dealer only parts?!!!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
just to restore faith in the renault brand, ive had my car for 6 days and havent had a single problem :D