ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renaults

I'm looking for a new car and I'm considering a secondhand 172/182. I have around £8000 which should pick me up a decent example.

However, I'm deciding between a Civic Type-R and a Clio and, without causing an argument between the two cars, I'd like to know how reliable your 172/182s have been?

Hondas have a good reputation for being reliable and in the past I've stereotyped Clios as perhaps needing a bit more done to them?

That being said, for my money I could pick up a Clio with better mileage than the Type-R...

Decisions decisions.

Has anybody owned both, to give a fair argument? Or could anybody shed some light on the reliability of them?

All advice appreciated!

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
Renaults are reliable as long as you service them when you are meant to. The civic type R vs Clio 1*2 has been discussed many times on here. The result is "take a test drive in both!" then make a decision based on which on suits you best.

i had the same choice 2 years ago and ended up with a clio and have never looked back.

hope this helps

Elliot

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
I looked at both and i choose a clio, due to the fact i found a nice 182 for the right price, also whilst checking insurance companies wanted alot more of me for a Type R (no idea why must be down to accident rates ect).

But i feel i made the correct decision, i love the 182 its fast it handles well and i feel it look undertated un like the civic which i like.

Yes the Clio seems to be cheaper to insure and gets better mpg, although not by much.

But I'd hate the hassle of having an unreliable car.

I think the Clio would be understated if it wasn't for the twin exhaust which I'm not a fan of...

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
Yes the Clio seems to be cheaper to insure and gets better mpg, although not by much.

But I'd hate the hassle of having an unreliable car.

I think the Clio would be understated if it wasn't for the twin exhaust which I'm not a fan of...

they are reliable there a few 172 that have 120,000 miles plus and are fine. if you service then properly and frequently you should have no problems. I've had 2 Renaults over 4 years none of them have missed a beat.

Fair enough, I'm going to try and test drive both, although this might be hard seeing as they're going to be second hand.

Everybody I've asked prefers the look of the Civic but I suppose it doesn't matter what other people think

Differences between 182 trophy and 172 cup? I could pick up a trophy for a grand extra hopefully. Would it be worth it? Bearing in mind group 17 vs. group 16 insurance.

Differences between 182 trophy and 172 cup? I could pick up a trophy for a grand extra hopefully. Would it be worth it? Bearing in mind group 17 vs. group 16 insurance.
Best drive them both.

Perosnaly for the me trophy has to hard a setup and there more expensive but have abs and fancy seats but I don't like the seats as they don't fit me.

Insurance depends some quote the cup as more some the trophy some the normal 172 or 182.

ibiza cupra
my 172 has 97000 miles on it and runs lovely as my every day runaround and my weekend funtime toy but i couldnt say about a civic as i dont really know much about them other than they have a little bit more than the clios top end

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd never buy a Renault again unless it has warranty.
last 18 months mines had;

Had only done 44k and came with full service history.

Clutch cable- and it still squeeks

2 New gearboxs +clutch

Had Cambelt done
Then
Dephaser pully sheared off!!!! Same as cambelt breaking so needed another cambelt, new valves, cylinder head reskimming etc!

Lower coolant hose

TDC sensor + loom

New exhaust

New shocks all round, one front and one rear had failed

Rear wheel bearing

Front left wheel arch fell out!

All the wheels rub on the arches.

There is more, but can't remember it

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 182
ive had my 182 for the last 2 yrs all thats been done to it is oil changes every 6 month's i fit a janspeed system to it and recently decided to change the cambelt and aux belt kit even though it was changed at 40 k by the dealer on warranty, other than that it aint missed a heart beat it does 50 mile a day to work and back 5 days a week then runs around i would say it is reliable !! better than my 106 gti ever was !!!