ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renewing Brake Hoses

Ive booked next monday off work to fit a few little toys to the valver. One of the toys being a set of goodridge braided brake hoses. Any tips you can give me before i get started?

i was thinking about getting DOT 4 fluid? maybe the Castrol synthetic stuff, im told any higher isnt worth it unless your changing fluids every other week. Can anyone tell me if i should first flush my brake system first? Is there such thing a brake flush fluid?

Also - Will i need any special tools? Ive got a set of decent spanners but im told there are special brake spanners you can buy that make the job easier. Are these spanners all one size? Ie 12m ?

Also - will 1 litre be enough to renew my whole braking system or should i buy more?

Cheers

James.

The Castrol Super Dot 4 is all you will EVER need, Dot 5.1 is pointless, its hy hydroscopic and you will loose efficiency in about 3 months (on a good tight system).

Just bleed the brake system with the new fluid, when its not manky and black and the fluid is new, your fine on that line. Just make sure you almost empty the reseviour first, but dont expose the Master cylinder holes.

You need to buy a C spanner of 10 and 11mm ends, itll make life far easier and wont strip the unions. But leave plus gas on them the night before.

1 ltr should be enough, but another small bottle just incase.

Oh, and if the union on the copper pipe is stuck, dont force it of yourll just ruin the solid pipe. Just screw the new pipe on then the caliper onto the pipe (you have to take it off).

Tis all matey.