ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repairing Stripped Spark plug Thread

Silver 182
Has anyone had any experience with repairing a stripped spark plug thread. To my knowledge it will need helicoiling?
Is it a case of needing to remove the head to do this, or will I get away with leaving it in place?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Brad

Silver 182
Hi Ben,
Whats the exact location of the engine place as I'm from Worcester. And would you happen to know how much he charges?

twingo
I struggle to see how it can be done in situ? What stops splinters of metal dropping down and f**king things up?

Great if it is possible though!

very easy. you don't use any grease or oil on the re threading as this makes the swarf very sticky. set the cylinder to top dead centre, and then blow the swarf out using an air line :) tried and tested method we use for this kind of job, very common practice on bike engines also. best to use a timesert over a hellicoil though pretty much the same things

Megane 225 f1
Hi Ben,
Whats the exact location of the engine place as I'm from Worcester. And would you happen to know how much he charges?

Result! Its malvern rebore mate speak to fred tell him Ben from the ambulance station in worcester told you to phone. Think it was £50 ish last time and he can come to you. Hes done 3 or 4 ambulance glow plugs for me and 2 cars never had a problem after. Well worth it imo.
01684 572473

very easy. you don't use any grease or oil on the re threading as this makes the swarf very sticky. set the cylinder to top dead centre, and then blow the swarf out using an air line :) tried and tested method we use for this kind of job, very common practice on bike engines also. best to use a timesert over a hellicoil though pretty much the same things

Interesting thanks. I have timeserts in mine, but think one needs to be repaired.

Silver 182
Result! Its malvern rebore mate speak to fred tell him Ben from the ambulance station in worcester told you to phone. Think it was £50 ish last time and he can come to you. Hes done 3 or 4 ambulance glow plugs for me and 2 cars never had a problem after. Well worth it imo.
01684 572473

Ah well what a blooming small world it is. Was going to ask there for a quote as it is literally down the road from me and next door to the garage I use.
Thanks for your help :)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
When I did my ex's car, I used the extractor to wind the thread out, then turned it over without the plug in to make sure there were no splinters.

Changed the oil the next day after a 15 minute run to be on the safe side.