ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replaced CAT on my Clio 2002 and now ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT stays on

Clio
Hi,

I replaced the CAT on my Clio 2002 and now Engine Management light stays on. I made sure I plugged in the electrical connector from sensor on this exhaust part.

Any idea what I have done. Suppose I should have disconnected the battery before doing this so the car wouldn't have know the snesor was unplugged? Same with airbags.

Any ideas would be very helpful. Especially on how to reset the light.

Clio
I'll have to find a way of getting a fault code, but it was fine before I changed the CAT itself. How could it suddenly stop working or have a fault?

172/1.2/E30
Did you change your old o2 sensors over? You could have damaged them whilst swapping. If the CAT came with sensors, they might be broken.

Clio
I have done the following and found a "t" and a "h". I reset them and we will have to see what happens. The engine management light is still on though.

Re: Does anyone know how to do a ECU reset on a Renault Clio
Theres a simple diagnostics built into the Mk2 Clio's

To access this, with the igition off press and keep hold of the button at the end of the stalk and turn the ignition on. ALl the dashboard warning lights will come on and the speedo and rev counter will go through a predefined sequene.
When your doing this though (you can let go of the button at the end of the stalk) ever time you press the stalk button the digital readout will show information (listed belew) each time you press the button some more information will show.

All the lights lit (shows if you have a failed LED).

The amount of fuel left in the tank in liters.

Fuel flow (the engine has to be running. This is in liters per hour

Stored faults
t mean an injection fault has been detected for a minimum of 4 seconds
J means a fault has been noted on the fuel gauge. It must have disconnected for longer than 100 seconds. The resistance from the fuel tank sensor needs to be between 5 and 350 Ohms.
d means an injection signal fault has been detected
h means an oil level sensor fault has been detected. Resistance from the sensor should be between 6 and 20 Ohms. Any reading over 20Ohms is an open cicuit anything under 3 is a short circuit.

If no faults are logged then dashes will show fixed dashes.
Press the reset button to clear the logged faults. Other faults arn't shown on the display.
One last thing to stop it turn the engine off or move the key to the off position.​

Clio
all i did was take it off the old exhaust and put it on the new one, so I dunno, do you think I need a new one?

clio 182 cup
its below threshold 1 mine does it every now and again ,i hav a diagnostic machine so just knock it off ,if you lived closer i would knock it off for you

BMW M135i
If it doesn't go away after say a week of driving it replace the post cat lambda. It may simply be a case of a stored fault.

Clio
How does it reset itself then?

Is it just a matter of time as and when it resets itself? It was fine before I changed the CAT, it never ever came on before.

I thought I would need to take it to renault for them to reset it by them spending less than 5 mins connecting a diagnostic computer to it and subsequently charging me half an hours labour which would cost a fortune.

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
It'll reset after several (i can't remember exactly) starts and driving of the sensor reading what it should. Will still be a stored fault but the light will go off.

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hi katonna I hope you have managed to sort problem out I would buy an obd2 reader off ebay I bought one for £33 deliverd and works great use one of them to reset ecu.I use one on my clio but my light comes back on at first I paid £80 for one from shop then took it back and bought the latest one and it displays code on the screen too if you need advice just ask Ill give you info where I got mine hope you get your car sorted

Clio
Ah thanks, but I have got it fixed. I paid a garage to reset the light. It is fine now and has not come on at all since it was reset weeks ago.

Clio
The bloody light has come on again after 6 months of not being on. Now what do I do? How do I find out exactly what is wrong with it without taking it to a renault dealer who will probably charge a fortune.

Anyone know how I can find out what's wrong with the car, by I assume connecting it to a diagnostic computer? Renault will probably charge a fortune for it.

If I do need a post cat lambda sensor, how much do they cost?

Clio
If it doesn't go away after say a week of driving it replace the post cat lambda. It may simply be a case of a stored fault.

It cam on again and again after a friend reset it with a thing they plug into the car. So i decided to do what you said. I changed the post cat Lambda sensor and got it reset by a guy with one of those things they plug into the car, now all is well! Engine Management Light is off and it's all fine! So happy now.