ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacement/upgraded suspension - which is best?!?!

172 ph2
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a 2003 mk2 ph2 172. Since, it has developed a knocking on rear right suspension. In the interest of keeping the car in good nic, I have decided to replace all suspension/shocks on the car and bushes (it just clocked up 100,000 miles!). I don't want to mess with ride height preferring to keep this as standard. I'm looking for high quality shocks and springs that offer a compliant ride (for london potholes) with good track handling...can anyone suggest anything? Budget isn't too much of an issue on this one.

Cheers!

Best setup for a 172? Koni adjustable dampers all around and Eibach Sportlines.

Try Larkspeed for the Konis.

Sportlines lower but not much (20mm? They advertise more though) - they're more made for handling than lowering.

BG 182
Being honest, I brought a brand new set of the k-tec coilovers, and for the price they're faultless. Ride fine in the front (a bit firm in the back I heard). Handle well once set up proper too. The car sits much better too. But if you do, look after them, wax the struts and spray grease the threads every 3 months or so.

Being honest, I brought a brand new set of the k-tec coilovers, and for the price they're faultless. Ride fine in the front (a bit firm in the back I heard). Handle well once set up proper too. The car sits much better too. But if you do, look after them, wax the struts and spray grease the threads every 3 months or so.
Look at the title... 'which is best?' ;)

172 ph2
Thanks for all the responses...weighing it all up i think I'm gonna go for the koni kit...

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a...-Phase-1-2-excl-Cup-Koni-Sport-Suspension-Kit

With regards to the eibach sportlines, in the interest of not breaking the bank too much I may try a swap with the ones that come in the koni kit, however having read some other threads there doesn't seem to be too much difference in performance between the two. Unless anyone wants to go for the swap, I will stick with the koni springs that come with the kit.

​thanks again folks, and any more comments are welcome!

172 ph2
SCRAP THAT!!!

Just had a call from Larkspeed...the kit has been DISCONTINUED!!! Can only get the shocks separately now, which is £432 in total...the kit with springs was £452! Add the eibach sportlines, and it comes to nearer £600...bugger.

The chap from Larkspeed said the koni dampers work best with original renault springs?! I wonder how much they will be?!?!?!?!?

I am replacing all my suspension components with new original items (except springs I'm fitting cooksports) from Renault as the car is on 117k and most of it is still original. I would not even entertain the idea of switching to cheap coilovers.

Sod getting original Renault springs and using them with Konis!

You can pick up a used set of Sportlines off here for circa £100 in decent nick.

I wouldn't even contemplate putting standard springs with konis!! yes it may work well but why?? fully adjustable tractor!

​Sportlines or cooksports

clio 182 sport
I have sportlines with all new dampers on mine and its alot better when i got the car ..... feels great for everyday use. i havent tried any other set up tho.

182 ff
I put sportslines and new dampers on my 182.i guess its lowered at the most 20mm,if you don't want to go lower ,
put prolines on(k tec or kam racing) new dampers west Renault on here.
my new springs has stopped body roll during corning.
when they settle don't seem to be that much firmer.
with yours being a 172 you would put koni dampers(yellow) on(I would of put them on ,don't make them for front on 182)

but they are not cheap.the springs are about £160 ,west Renault dampers 50 each about.
And do the sportlines lower the car? Was wanting to keep original ride height.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you could always go for eibach prolines which are much the same ride height as standard but with the extra stiffness of the sportlines, not many people use them though as the sportlines offer a nice drop but not enough to cause any issues.

ive just fitted to my 172...
172 cup front dampers
182 cup rear dampers
eibach sportlines
172 cup (or later) bottom arms with extra castor (come complete with ball joints and new bushes fitted)
new track rods and track rod ends
new ARB bushes all round
new top mounts

it drives brilliant!!! feels like it left the factory

172 ph2
So the final decision is...

going for OEM dampers all round with Eibach prolines (much the same as Martin, as above). This seems to offer the least amount of dropping in ride height, whilst also uprating the handling. Don't want to go for the Koni dampers as the price is just too high, and I think renault know what they are doing when it comes to handling...can't justify the price difference at the moment.

Once again, thanks for all the responses, has helped a lot!