ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing ABS Rings

I've just started having problems with my brakes and after some research it sounds like the ABS rings are the cause of it (abs light on dash, problems occours at slower speeds ie less than 20mph, brakes almost feel like shuddering - if these symptoms sound like something else please let me know!)

But I was just wondering how difficult it is to change the abs rings at home (i am a "beginner" at car mechanics!) or whether it would be better just to bite the bullet and take it to a garage.

cheers guys!

Black-Gold 182
ABS Ring on the front or rear?

Rear is a piece of p*ss - take the rear hub off and they just pop out. Front is a bit more tricky as they're integrated into the drive shaft - thus the new drive shaft comment.

MB_182

TeZ

Non RS : (
you can get it off with effort and weld another on but new shaft takes seconds to replace and is less hassle in the long run.

Rear= piss.

S reg RT. Drive shaft? welding? oh man, that sounds like I need a workshop! The noise is coming from the front brakes. You think I should just take it to a garage?

Yeah, it was shuddering through the pedal and the brakes felt like the pads were running over a cobble street. But I checked the pads and there's plenty left.

TeZ

yea i had same problem for my 2001 1.416v, needed a new drivers sdie shaft,

just get to a good garage and the shaft cost me about £100 on mine so maybe less for you,

and about 2 mins to fit.

Did you just get the part yourself and fit it on or send it to the garage? And again sorry to ask, but it wasn't the ABS rings as well was it?

Cheers

TeZ

no just the one on mine ( Front, which is easier to get a new shaft)

Took it to a local bloke nown on here didnt charge me anything ( NEIL PLANT)

I suggest you get it looked at befre ordering parts may be a new brake disk for all you no.

Iceburg 172FF
Sorry to hijack your thread. Ive got the exact same problem and have took it back to the garage I bought it twice and they have found no fault. Can I jack it up and is there anything visual to check for? I would have no idea where the ABS rings are to look for damage...

TeZ

Look where your front Disks are, Then pan across to left or right ( depending were you are looking from),
under the car and there will be the drive shaft connnected to the hub there is a Cog type piece of metal on the end ( sorry i dont wat else to call it).
And it will have Teeth on it( bit like a small sprocket :p, try moving it somtime they free spin when corroded ( very common) if not get a light on it and turn the wheel and see if there are any small cracks in it.
That could be setting off your ABS and making it feel Juddery under light braking.

If still nothing , And you are geting a ABS / Service light Intermittent fault on your dash then take tit to a Renault Dealer who will do a diagnostic( if the light is on when you get there) and will tell you whats up.

But unless its cheap dont get them to fit it in my oppinion.

Hope that helps slightly.

Clio 182
i have a 1.2 16V 2001 clio and my front left ABS ring snapped and was making a grinding noise, abs light was coming on and off etc and this guy at Treadfirst just stuck his hand round the back of my wheel, was like 'ah, its the ABS ring' and just glued it back together and it works perfectly fine and didnt charge me anything :) maybe you could try that?

I got a quote from a garage next to where I work and they've said to change both (the drive shaft x2 and ABS rings) they've said it would cost £338....oh crap

TeZ

LOL thats a joke. it never that much mate, Renault quoted me £400 i got it done for £100 odd

I thought I would try just any garage to get an rough figure for what I might be paying. Mind you as well, it's scotland so they'll try and milk me for every last penny!;)

Just to let you all know that it did turn out to be the ABS rings. However, they don't supply them individually so need to get a new drive shaft which will cost roughly £200, but managed to get a staff discount from my old work so that'll soften the blow!