ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing brake discs and pads

Looking at changing the brake discs and pads soon on my Cup because the pads currently fitted to my car really can't handle enthusiastic driving, they get hot and fade and I'm left with very poor braking performance (not that I drive "enthusiastically" on a regular basis ;)).

Question is, it's better to change both pads and discs if I'm planning on using a different brand of pads?

Sure I've read somewhere the compound from the old pads stays on the discs and if the discs aren't replaced as well the new pads won't be as effective.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I wouldn't bother replacing discs just cos your using different pads personally.

iceberg 172
if your just replacing the pads then you might have a lip around the disks. can just sand it off though;)
as for above first ive heard of?

if your just replacing the pads then you might have a lip around the disks. can just sand it off though;)
as for above first ive heard of?

I think it was on here where I've seen someone say it, was the 1st time I'd heard of it as well.

I might just change the pads and if I'm still having problems I'll change the discs as well. The discs don't look that bad to be honest, plus they're drilled discs too.

Golf GTD Mk7
Jon was it you I was talking to about your brakes today?

Just get some HC's. May as well do it all at once. Plus they're farely cheap too. Few of the traders on her sell them, or GSF also do.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Depends how worn the discs are and if they have uneven wear. If your spending money on expensive pads I always think it's a false economy if you don't change the discs.

Jon was it you I was talking to about your brakes today?

Just get some HC's. May as well do it all at once. Plus they're farely cheap too. Few of the traders on her sell them, or GSF also do.

Yeah that was me mate, complaining about those crappy GreenStuff pads lol.

I got a really good quoted price from Pete at AutoNation for a set of DS2500 pads and HC discs. Just contemplating what to do.

Golf GTD Mk7
they are good mate. Can't compare them with green stuff, but from what I've read they're not great. Saying that, DS2500 will still fade. Nice bite to them though. Braided lines are also a good idea and some castrol super would be a good move too ;). Prices just keep racking up unfortunately.

they are good mate. Can't compare them with green stuff, but from what I've read they're not great. Saying that, DS2500 will still fade. Nice bite to them though. Braided lines are also a good idea and some castrol super would be a good move too ;). Prices just keep racking up unfortunately.

That's the thing isn't it? You could spend ££££'s on various things, plus I'd end up having to pay someone to fit braided lines because I haven't a clue how to bleed brakes lol.

Yeah I do appreciate the DS2500 will fade eventually but these GreenStuff pads are terrible for it, I'd say after about 20minutes of hard braking their performance really dies.

Golf GTD Mk7
It's not hard to do brake lines. I did it myself and i'm no wrench. bleeding is pretty simple really. Just need a willing mate with a strong leg.

There is a guide on the forum about bleeding brakes which is easy to follow.

It's not hard to do brake lines. I did it myself and i'm no wrench. bleeding is pretty simple really. Just need a willing mate with a strong leg.

There is a guide on the forum about bleeding brakes which is easy to follow.

Oh yeah, I've had a quick glance at that, I may go down that route, thanks for the advice mate :)

Da

Less
Lines are simple and you can do the bleeding yourself, just have a google for eezibleed.

If you're just changing the pads and the discs aren't bad then I wouldn't bother changing them.

Fluid is the next thing if you want improved feel. Castrol Super Response (I think it's called) from Opie Oils is well regarded, and what I'm running presently.

Lines are simple and you can do the bleeding yourself, just have a google for eezibleed.

If you're just changing the pads and the discs aren't bad then I wouldn't bother changing them.

Fluid is the next thing if you want improved feel. Castrol Super Response (I think it's called) from Opie Oils is well regarded, and what I'm running presently.

Thanks Daz.

I've bit the bullet and ordered some discs and pads and I'll fit them once they've arrived, I'll see how that goes and then I'll decide if I'll go for the braided lines and Castrol Super brake fluid.