ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing clutch and flywheel

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Hi all!

I'm going to be replacing the clutch in my 172 soon, and thought about potentially changing the flywheel . .

From what I've read, the standard OE clutch replacement should be fine (and cheap :p ) but I can't find any info on whether its worth uprating the flywheel?

Any advice from people who have gone through this process would be awesome!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Hated this job. Just a pain with it on axle stands. billet flywheel will add about £320 to the clutch change and in my opinion is worth it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hated this job. Just a pain with it on axle stands. billet flywheel will add about £320 to the clutch change and in my opinion is worth it.

What worth do you think it adds?

The standard one on these engines isnt massively heavy anyway, and unless its a race car the very tiny increase in power available to accelerate the cars in the lower gears is more than offset by being harder to hold a steady idle and the fact the revs drop too quickly on changes down the box I reckon.

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Cheers for the opinions chaps, probably will replace with the standard one :) especially if the revs drop quickly after gear change . . nothing I hate worse when being "enthusiastic"

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
What worth do you think it adds?

The standard one on these engines isnt massively heavy anyway, and unless its a race car the very tiny increase in power available to accelerate the cars in the lower gears is more than offset by being harder to hold a steady idle and the fact the revs drop too quickly on changes down the box I reckon.

Reignition

I couldn't say exactly as the two times I've done it's been in combination with A/C delete. For value for money it's not the best, agreed, I've never paid for it though but have experience the change twice.

The car does rev much freeier and the top end doesn't tail like it used to.

As a percentage weight the billet item is around 60% of the original. Heal toe requires a much less forceful blip.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Reignition

I couldn't say exactly as the two times I've done it's been in combination with A/C delete. For value for money it's not the best, agreed, I've never paid for it though but have experience the change twice.

The car does rev much freeier and the top end doesn't tail like it used to.

As a percentage weight the billet item is around 60% of the original. Heal toe requires a much less forceful blip.

Would LOVE to know how you think a lightened flywheel helps top end power hand on longer?

The point it tails off is caused by the rpm at which the volumetric efficiency is decreased where the cams/inlet etc are no longer able to adequately fill the cylinder due to the diminished induction stroke timebase, how the well is that going to be helped by a lighter flywheel?